News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Radiator Fan Differences.

Started by London_Phil, December 07, 2016, 12:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Hi All

This links on from Leaking Radiator, but I have a query for you all.

On removing my old rad, I find that the fan lower mounts are pretty screwed, and one has damage.
No problem, I have a good spare with my good spare rad.
So now I have a question.
as you see from the photo, the old Rad at right has a smaller fan with a 50A rating
The spare is a larger fan with a 34A rating.
I'm thinking that as long as the fan fits behind the rad, and clears the headers etc, it should be fine.

Anyone want to jump in with a comment?

JoeDirt

Quote from: London_Phil on December 07, 2016, 12:17:19 PM

Anyone want to jump in with a comment?

It appears to be an identical radiator. Lots of companies substitute parts during production. I am sure Triumph is no different. I wouldn't be concerned about it personally. The good thing is the mounting looks to be the same on both fans. So, you could re-use your old fan on the new radiator. I wouldn't toss/bin the old one.
:grnb

London_Phil

Thanks JD.
Want you can't see from the picture is one of the old fan lower mounts is damaged/broken due to rusting of the bolt, so not really useable unless desperate.
I wondered if there were differences depending on the amount of fairing attached to the bike the spare fan came from, but as with pc fans, I expect a lower rated fan with more surface area will flow as much, if not more air, which is fine. Just wanted some input before I bolt it back up.

Regards

Phil

London_Phil

Just FYI.

The reason the Steamer, and possibly Girly is smaller is, it seems, due to the location of the rad to the headers.
Its probably closer than other models due to fairing.
The large fan shroud butts against the centre pipe.
As a short term solution, I have removed some fan housing material at the lowest point, which required the removal of the lowest spar as well.
This gives about  1/8" to 1/4" clearance at the header, so we will see if it melts.
I also noted the plates that the lower rad brackets attached to was not located against the tab, at the engine mount, and this had caused the rad mount screw to touch the left header pipe and melt the plastic parts.
Have refilled and run up the engine so the fan cut in and out, and all working as expected.
Have ordered spare fan of correct type, but at least I can test my spare rad.

Regards

Phil

London_Phil

Just an update, with two comments.

1) DON'T use the wrong fan, it melts on the exhausts.....

2) Both the original fan and the replacements have bared wires where the black cable shroud finishes, about 2" shy of the connector, and both on the blue wire, which is live from the rad switch.
Pics to follow, but it looks like its rubbing where its attached to the frame with tie wraps.

Suspect it may be more widespread.