News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help me lower her... pah-leeze

Started by jp4evr, July 06, 2005, 12:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp4evr

So I know what needs to be done... within reason, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it.  

I've disassembled my Jeep and suspension, but never on a bike.  Here's what I believe I need to do....

eccentric chain adjust in the back for drop

push forks up through clamps in front.... but exactly what is the process for this?

I'm finding it to be just a bit teetery (sp?) off road and want a bit more solid plant of my foot.
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

BykBoy

Quote from: "jp4evr"eccentric chain adjust in the back for drop

push forks up through clamps in front.... but exactly what is the process for this?

There are three things to look out for:

1. remember to loosen the top boot fasteners so the forks can slide up.

2. get a 1" spacer to lift the chain guard so it does not hit the chain.

3. shorten the kick stand by about 1.5" so the shortened cat does not tip over.

Here is the entire procedure.

Front:

Remove the fairing.

Get the front wheel off the ground (use the center stand or a lift or blocks, but do not use a front fork lift. If you use a center stand, you will have to wedge something under the engine to keep back wheel on ground. I use cinder blocks under the Thunderbike sump guard plate).

Loosen the top boot fasteners.

Loosen the top and bottom triple clamps.

Slide the forks up the clamps.

Make sure both forks are same height.

Fasten triple clams (I don't remember the torque)

Fasten the top boot fasteners.

put faring back on.

Rear:

Get the rear wheel off the ground.

Remove the chain guard.

Loosen the concentric fasting bolt.

Rotate to 180 degrees.

Fasten bolt.

Put the chain guard back on with the 1" spacer to lift it off the chain.

Shorten the side stand by cutting out 1.5" and re-welding the shaft back together.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

jp4evr

thanks BykBoy, will I have any issues with new lengths on brake / clutch lines, etc?  

I heard there was a "tool" specifically for the rear adjustment.  or can i just use anything to rotate it around?

e

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

BykBoy

Quote from: "jp4evr"thanks BykBoy, will I have any issues with new lengths on brake / clutch lines, etc?  

No.  Only issue will be with the chain guard.

Quote from: "jp4evr"I heard there was a "tool" specifically for the rear adjustment.  or can i just use anything to rotate it around?

e

That is the oversized sliver colored hex in the Tiger's tool pouch. You can also use a regular plier.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

jp4evr

Quote from: "BykBoy"Slide the forks up the clamps.

Make sure both forks are same height.

How much are we talking about here?  One of the concerns you have with any change in ride height to anything is steering geometry.  

How much do the forks go up to compensate for the change in the rear?  1 inch?  

thanks again for the help.

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

BykBoy

Quote from: "jp4evr"How much are we talking about here?  One of the concerns you have with any change in ride height to anything is steering geometry.  

How much do the forks go up to compensate for the change in the rear?  1 inch?  

thanks again for the help.

Soemthing like that. I just brought it down until it almost touches the lower part of the handle bar.

I'm not concerned with the steering geometry. I ride with the rear wheel at both positions (high and low) and I can't tell the difference (other then the fact that I can almost flat foot both feet at a stop in the lower position) . If anything, the lower forks make the front more responsive because it shortens the wheel base. But like I said, I can't really tell the difference.
2001 Black 955i Tiger