News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear shocker. How to adjust

Started by Feisty, March 19, 2020, 02:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feisty

Hello again chaps.

This new to me tiger allegedly had the rear shocker rebuilt before the p.o. stopped riding it.

I think it must have been rebuilt by pogo sticks r us...

There is almost not resistance for compression and rebound.  Two fingers on the rear rack will compress the spring easily and it pops back up just as easily and quickly.

It is not leaking anything that I can see.

I can't find the owners manual and am not sure what adjustments there are on it.  I have turned the inner flat blade screw on the remote thingy both directions  to max with no change.   Does the outer bolt turn as well. I gather one is meant to adjust preload.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Beernard

Aah Feisty. Mine shat itself all of a sudden. I sent it off to be rebuilt. Reputable bloke . He told me it was ferked and that any kind of massive rebuild was not economically (or performance-wise) viable. I bought a wilbers.
Still can't ride due to surgeries, but I'll let you know how it works. Sometime soon, I hope!
Regards and be safe in our new world.
Ripper, woke up again.

Geoff W

Having had two Hagon's on the back and now a Wilber's, i can heartily recommend the Wilber's. It helped save me recently when i was day dreaming along and suddenly found myself heading for the kerb on a tight right hander. I kept pushing the inside handlebar as far as I could until the outside of my boot was stotting off the road surface. The bike just kept itself under control and tracked around the bend with me holding on. I have always thought of Steamers as bikes which are forgiving of idiots, now i know they are.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Clarkey231

Just had mine rebuilt by Steve at HEL performance near Exeter. About 160 quid and all done. He had it for about 4 weeks but that was because K-tec kept sending the wrong sized seals etc.

Now k-tec have all the info a lot is being made up. This I included a new bladder, oil, seals and some work in the lathe sorting bumpstop and 're threading the securing thread to take 40nm of torque

Feisty

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd love to do the upgrade or get the original rebuilt but until I get the carburation right I'd be hesitant to spend big $ on her.

Does anyone know if the outer adjuster on the remote reservoir does anything? The one with the two flats that surrounds the flat blade inner adjuster?

I have turned the inner screw and can hear and feel the clicks but there is no change.

Geoff W

It is highly likely that the remote reservoir will have no gas in it at all. So adjusting will make no difference. I don't know what equipment is needed to top up the gas.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

badrooster

Hi, I've been where you are. The post claiming no pressure in the reservoir is probably correct. My did the same thing until I put pressure in it. I used a bicycle suspension pump, works perfect. Take of the valve cap on the end of the reservoir and screw the pump to it. If there's little to no pressure on the gauge,like mine, then pump it up to 100psi. Work the suspension a few times then let it sit awhile then retry. That worked for me , and has been working fine for months now.

London_Phil

I rebuilt my 95 Steamer rear shock, and there was loads of conflicting advice re Nitrogen/air, Special fork oil v Dexron etc.
I used Dexron III and air pressure to 100psi (or possibly 120) and it was fine.
The actual amount of gas needed is tiny, and unless your getting into the professional offroading, I wonder how many people would actually notice, or have even set there suspension for optimal response.

Feisty

Sheesh.  And here I was thinking I had done all the reading on steamers I needed to.  Yep there is a valve on the reservoir. I know that because I just checked and you all helped me.  I had no idea it was there.

Thanks all for your help. I'll get out the hand pump tomorrow  and whack 100psi of air into it and get back to you all once I go for a ride

London_Phil

No good whacking air in, if the fluid your trying to compress isn't there....

Feisty

Quote from: London_Phil on March 25, 2020, 12:42:08 PM
No good whacking air in, if the fluid your trying to compress isn't there....

Allegedly It was rebuilt 7 years ago before it was taken off the road.  It can't hurt can it?

London_Phil

If you going to rebuild it anyway, why not..

Feisty

I'm not going to to rebuild it.  I'd replace it maybe but not rebuild.

Feisty

I got out the bicycle pump. Put some air in it and fluid came out somewhere below the valve.  So... I might have a look and see what used bmw boxer shocks might fit. I have access to a fair few used unit for comparison .  It is a shame as it has been already been rebuilt once in it 32,000km life. 

badrooster

Sounds like someone pinched the bladder cap seal on reassembly  :icon_cry: