News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

GAS GAUGE NOT WORKING?

Started by bretzg, August 18, 2005, 05:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bretzg

For you new Tiger guys out there. In case you ride out of the dealer and your gas tank says empty and you check and it's full of gas, not to worry. Mine took the first full tank of gas to start working and after talking to the sales manager, his Tiger did the same. He's thinking there is some kind of a coating on the inside of the tank when they are new and the float sticks to it until the gas eats through the coating and bam, your gas tank starts working. If you've gone through two tanks of gas, you do have a problem and I've seen posts that show the connector that might be lose or not connected at all.

PS: I've had my 2005 Tiger for about a month and it is by far the funnest bike I've ever had. I've owned mostly touring bikes (Concours, FJR1300) but this beast is a blast and it's all I ride. I especially like the slight backfiring/popping the engine makes when warm and you're coming to a stop using the engine to slow the bike down.  Just sounds cool!!!
gary b

Bushwhacker

That could be it.

Or it could be a bad guage.

or a bad float

or a bad sending unit

And it could be that it takes a couple of gauge and sending unit replacemetns before everything is actually working.

Don't ask me how I know this!

-
When you look like a rude, crude, scum-sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions.

2000 Thunderbird Sport - Yellow w/Ghost Flames

2007 Tiger - White w/ABS

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Blue

bretzg

I'm hoping I'm right and mine is OK now and if not, at least maybe they can pick the right part to throw at it the first time. That mutiple choice method of repair is never any fun. I always reset the trip meter just in case.
gary b

Green Geck0

My '02 gives odd readings at times. I spoke with the mechanic and he said you can take it apart and clean the sender. Sometimes that will fix it. You have to pull the tank of course. They always have them in stock at my dealership because it seems to be a common problem.

I find it depends on where I fuel up. The gas from 7-11 or Esso screws it up and when I fill up from Shell it's always correct.

Curtis Ross

Calgary, Alberta