News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

TRIUMPH TIGER 900 95-98

Started by lowfreq13, September 10, 2005, 06:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowfreq13

HEY TIGERDUDES IS THERE ANYTHING ON THE EARLY MODEL TIGER 900 I NEED TO WATCH FOR ? PROBLEM AREAS? FORK SPRINGS? CORBIN SEAT ARE PARTS EASY TO GET FOR THESE BIKES STILL? THANKS MUCH IAM NARROWING THE SEARCH :roll:
Tim

Lummox

When you buy an old carb Tiger 96/97 ish, you want to look out for badly worn discs, knackered constantly seizing calipers. The brake calipers on older steamers need constant attention. My 97 Tiger 50,000 miles was always seizing calipers with rapid wear of brake pads. I was regulaly stripping them down and separating the 2 parts of the caliper and cleaning and copper greasing the 2 metals rods that should slide in the holes smoothly on the main brake caliper. I would also very carefully squeeze the break handle when the caliper was off to lift out a pot so I could clean it and lightly lube it. You must be very careful not to pop it right out!! Put a screwdriver handle inside the caliper to keep one pot in place while you clean and lube the other. Then squeeze back the cleaned on and put the driver on that one and gently squeeze out the other to clean and lube that one. This works for a while but in rain and cold weather salt etc. they stick again! Plus older steamers 50k plussers use quite a bit of oil mine does. Needs a top up every couple of weeks. No problem if you keep on top of it.

Regular work needed but a great bike! The engine is better now than when I got it new.

regards

Lummox

Mudhen

Hit the Yahoo forum and search on DAR (Dreaded Alternator Rattle) and Sprag Clutch.  There are some gotcha's with them - especially with '95/early '96 bikes.

I've had some brake and chain issues with my '96, but only from lack of attention on my part...gotta keep up with that maintenance and get to things BEFORE they cause bigger problems!!
\'96 Steamer

Foxy

The sprag clutch is much less of an issue with 92-95 bikes as these have a removable cover in the cases allowing access without splitting the cases. Post 96 and there should be less of an issue again as I believe it was redesigned. The 1998 bikes benefit from a few changes including superior carbs.

Mudhen

Quote from: "Foxy"The sprag clutch is much less of an issue with 92-95 bikes as these have a removable cover in the cases allowing access without splitting the cases.

Except the early Sprag is no longer available...and to put the later one in the earlier bikes you need to machine the case.  Which I guess can be done with a Dremel type tool...or supposedly the dealers had a factory something-or-other that they could use to do it...

Just what I read, no experience with any of it.  And pray I won't!   [-o<
\'96 Steamer