News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Introduction and questions

Started by JonF, December 25, 2005, 12:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonF

Hi everyone. My name's Jon and I'm interested in the Triumph Tiger. I currently ride a Kawasaki ZR-7 (naked streetbike) and I recently sold my KLR650.

I've got my eye on 2 Tigers at the moment. The first is an 02 with 14,000 miles. It looks great from the pics and the asking price is $6500. It has a factory topcase. The second is a 99. I dont have the mileage or price yet, it's at a dealer on their website but was at their other location. The sales person did not have the mileage or price info and did not call back today.

From what I can find on the internet the only real difference between the bikes is the engine and power. Either of them have sufficient power with good torque. Are there any other differences? How about reliability. I think 99 was the first year of a major design change. Are there any issues on the 99 I should be aware of? I've seen pics with and without a centerstand. Are they optional on all years? How about gas mileage? I realize that prices will vary depending on the area, but what would be reasonable prices for these 2 bikes? Any other info would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

davensocal

Jon-

I am sure someone will correct me, but I will give it a go anyways..

I think the '99 is carburated.  At least it's at about the time the fuel injection came out, so you may want to check that.  You probably already know the pros/cons to FI.  The '99 will be a 885cc, and the '02 will be a 955.  '02 is definatley injected.

$6500 seems a little steep for a '02.    Is that out the door (tax, registration, etc..)  

I believe a new bike is right around $10K, including luggage.  

I paid $4k for my '00 with 17K on it, about 1 year ago in Cali.  It had Triumph race cans and aftermarket rear shock.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

PS. I prefer the FI model, I don't have the time to dick around with the carbs...   I also like it for consistency when changing altitude.  Biggest down side for me is that I cannot adjust it.

greg

The 955i is decidedly superior to the older 885. Get a test ride, after the Kwak you will think you have just discovered the Rolls Royce of biking.
2004 Girly.

guydan

Both the 99 and 00 models use the 885 FI engine.  In mid-year 01 Triumph went to the 955 FI engine.  Otherwise the 99 through at least 03 models are identical (I'm not sure exactly what minor changes were made between 01 and 05 (others here can comment).  The major changes were made in 05 (frame, suspension and wheels).

I can't comment on the 955i models, but I really like my 885i.  Plenty of power, smooth and very reliable.  I have only had one issue; the head leaks (coolant) when the bike is stored at low temperatures, <30F.  This issue seems to effect only some of the 885's and early 955's.  It is a minor issue, as there is very little cooant loss (a couple of cc's at most) and it stops once the bike is warm.  I believe it's a head gasket material issue.  One thing to note; the bike is much better this year since it has been ridden regularly since March.  I might replace the head gasket at the 24k service.

I don't believe you can go wrong with either version.  It comes down to personal preference and dollars.

Good luck!
Cheers,

Doug

NortonCharlie

QuoteOtherwise the 99 through at least 03 models are identica

They upgraded the suspension when they went to the 955 motor in 01
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Chris Canning

Well i had two 900i's sold the second for a 955 on paper their all but identical except a few upgrades the reality is their like chalk and cheese,i'd had my 955 for a week when i went back to the dealers my 900 was already sold and just about to be taken,but couldn't resist sitting on it,i was shocked!!!! you sit IN a 900i as opposed to sitting on a 955 is one better??? don't ask me!!!

JonF

Thanks for the replies. The 99 is sold and the 02 is 200 miles away so I did not go up for a testride. I have decided to keep my Kawasaki for now but I may end up with a Tiger some time in the future. After having the KLR I have been wanting a big trailie. They're hard to beat for all around riding and the Tiger is by far my favorite of the bunch.