News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

chain/sprockets????

Started by aeronca, August 05, 2007, 03:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeronca

whats the best chain/sprocket/counter shaft set up for a '95. mine needs a new one of each.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

tigerrider

I can't remember what the stock is on the front (15?) but it's often suggested to add a tooth on the front to smooth out the highway buzz.

steammoto

I am also looking at getting a new chain. Although my sprockets should be fine(less than 5k on the odom) I will be going up a tooth on the counter sprocket to lessen highway buzz.

I believe stock to be 18t
1995 Steamer Diablo

Mudhen

I run 17/48 on my street setup.  That puts it around 6k rpm at 80mph where I'm usually cruising on my commute.  Not too buzzy, but I don't get great gas mileage...which is something else to consider when gearing down.  I get about 30mpg.

On my off road wheels I run the 17 front, but I have a 53 on that rear wheel.  It's an 18", though, which throws another wrench in the works...but it's down about another 500rpm over the 17/48 on the 17" wheel.

Pat
\'96 Steamer

aeronca

good stuff, and lots to concider. i think i'll stick to a stock set-up for now, and spend some cash on a fender kind a like the one you got there mudhen.   thanks to all  :)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

CBAT

To answer one of the questions; stock is 18/48. Some go to 19 on the front for mileage and 17 for low speed control. My one complaint on this bike is the hassle to change the countershaft sprocket. I saw one picture where a chopped the cover in half to allow for quick easy change out. I like that idea but can't remember where I saw that picture. Only drawback was he lost the dipstick to check the oil. Only had a bolt tapped into the hole where the stick used to be.
Bruce

Mudhen

Quote from: "CBAT"To answer one of the questions; stock is 18/48. Some go to 19 on the front for mileage and 17 for low speed control. My one complaint on this bike is the hassle to change the countershaft sprocket. I saw one picture where a chopped the cover in half to allow for quick easy change out. I like that idea but can't remember where I saw that picture. Only drawback was he lost the dipstick to check the oil. Only had a bolt tapped into the hole where the stick used to be.

That picture was probably Patricks.  A few of the German crew have done that mod, and I believe some have trimmed the dipstick down, too, so they can check the oil with it still.

I have a couple spare covers and will be trying it shortly.  Not having a dipstick doesn't bother me - my finger works fine   :wink:
\'96 Steamer

CBAT

Quote from: "Mudhen"
Quote from: "CBAT"To answer one of the questions; stock is 18/48. Some go to 19 on the front for mileage and 17 for low speed control. My one complaint on this bike is the hassle to change the countershaft sprocket. I saw one picture where a chopped the cover in half to allow for quick easy change out. I like that idea but can't remember where I saw that picture. Only drawback was he lost the dipstick to check the oil. Only had a bolt tapped into the hole where the stick used to be.

That picture was probably Patricks.  A few of the German crew have done that mod, and I believe some have trimmed the dipstick down, too, so they can check the oil with it still.

I have a couple spare covers and will be trying it shortly.  Not having a dipstick doesn't bother me - my finger works fine   :wink:

Doooood, If you can make that work, I would gladly buy you a cheeseburger, a cup of coffee, a case of Shiner Boch, or whatever to get one of them.   :wink: The finger would work fine for me as well. I mean for checking the oil.  :lol: I'd love to be able to gear up for a long highway run then bring it down when I get at the destination....Colorado.
Bruce

Mudhen

Quote from: "CBAT"The finger would work fine for me as well. I mean for checking the oil.

You knew I was going to post this, didn't you!

I have a broken cover that will be my first attempt, and if that works I'll try one of my good ones.  Hopefully I'll have one spare good one when I'm done...
\'96 Steamer

CBAT

Oh yeah, I've been reading ADV rider long enough to expect that as soon as I typed it.
Bruce

CBAT

I'm thinking about setting up for highway mileage. Anyone running the 18 or 19 tooth front with the stock 48 tooth rear; What are your RPMs when running 70 mph? For you guys running 19; how slow can you run in first gear without slipping the clutch and what kind of mileage are your getting at highway speeds?
Bruce