News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Won't Start after washing

Started by CrashDBad, February 13, 2007, 06:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDBad

My 98 has been sitting with my campning gear and covered in dust  since

coming back from Death Valley a few weeks ago.  I rode about 800 miles, 200+

offraod.  the bike made it home like a champ from DV to Phoenix with no

troubles.

I decided I would unpack and wash the bike today.  After washing the bike I

decided to take it for a drying spin.  There's spark to the outside

cylinders (too much trouble checking #2 with frame ).  The starter spins,

the motor is turning, but no combustion.  I tried some starting fluid

sprayed directly into the carb inlets, drained the bowls, vented the cap.  Fuel in tank, kill switch to run, tried clutch in/out, sidestand up/down.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I've searched the archives and have seen

a similar prob wih a steamer, but don't know if/how the owner rectified the

prob.

Thanks,

Rick

Mudhen

I'm assuming you had the entire airbox off when you sprayed the starting fluid into the carbs?  Did you then put the airbox back on to try starting it?

I'm just not sure what would happen with that PITA airbox off.  It may be like a giant vacuum leak and the bike wouldn't try to start anyway...so maybe not a conclusive test.

My guess would be that the carbs are gummed up.  You didn't do anything to it, you have spark (so doesn't that eliminate all the sidestand, clutch, etc switches?), and you just rode in a lot of dusty/dirty conditions.  Do you have a prefilter on the airbox inlet?

Or...could there be spark but too weak of one?  Just thinking out loud...
\'96 Steamer