News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mudhens steamer? What about the girlies?

Started by Anonymous, August 29, 2007, 06:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

Ok, we now know what a steamer that has been heavily modified can look like. Mudhen did  a great job in making it very butch and offroad worthy. I have yet to see a Girly look off road worthy.

Anyone care to share some pics?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Stretch

Fano and Sasquatch have both been pretty successful in offroading Girlies all over the western U.S.

Their bikes don't seem to be lacking much, capability-wise.  In an old thread on ADVrider, Fano had trouble with mud packing up his front fender until the wheel locked.  A high-mount front fender would cure that, but he seems to prefer it the way it is.

Mudhen

Patrick and McB come to mind...McB has the only Girly I know of with a 21" front wheel.

I almost wish I'd gotten one instead of my Scrambler...love the look of them when they're done up for the dirt!
\'96 Steamer

abruzzi

Quote from: "Mudhen"McB has the only Girly I know of with a 21" front wheel.

A quick search turned this up:

Oh, and I'll take that scrambler off your hands.

Geof

blacktiger

wow, where did he get those wheels!!!

Bad ass!!!

blacktiger

nevermind, i guess they excell wheels. Probably using the same hub but different sized rims.

Very sweet.

fano

Quote from: "Stretch"Fano and Sasquatch have both been pretty successful in offroading Girlies all over the western U.S.

Their bikes don't seem to be lacking much, capability-wise.  In an old thread on ADVrider, Fano had trouble with mud packing up his front fender until the wheel locked.  A high-mount front fender would cure that, but he seems to prefer it the way it is.

No I don't. I just didn't have time to make one, but now I will wait until I see yours. Can't wait to see it and hear how you like it   :lol:

Stretch

It shouldn't be too hard.  I need to add a second front brake hose and eliminate the crossover hose.

I've been having trouble finding a silver plastic front fender.  Every time I find one and order it, I get a call the next day telling me it's backordered with no known delivery date.

I'm (so far) expecting a silver Acerbis fender for Honda XR's.  We shall see.

I'll take photos and do a write-up.

blacktiger

Quote from: "Stretch"It shouldn't be too hard. I need to add a second front brake hose and eliminate the crossover hose.

I've been having trouble finding a silver plastic front fender. Every time I find one and order it, I get a call the next day telling me it's backordered with no known delivery date.

I'm (so far) expecting a silver Acerbis fender for Honda XR's. We shall see.

I'll take photos and do a write-up.

All the parts less than 100$? What parts are we talking about??

Sure thing man, take some photos. It would be cool to have tubless rims too. :)

Stretch

I have tubeless wheels already.  I would love another set, so I could keep TKC's on one pair, and Tourance's on the other.

###

The plan is to remove the Tiger front fender and fender brace, and replace it with a high-mounted silver plastic motocross fender.

The bike is set up from the factory with one front brake hose running from the master cylinder to the left caliper, then a crossover hose from the left caliper to the right.

I'm going to eliminate the crossover hose, as even a longer one would get in the way.  Instead I'll use two front brake hoses, one for each caliper, running straight from the master cylinder.  That will eliminate the need for the long banjo bolt on the left caliper (the crossover hose fitting stacked on top of the brake hose fitting).  I'll need it at the master cylinder instead, stacking the two brake hose fittings there.

So I'll be swapping the 22mm master cylinder banjo bolt with the 31mm left caliper banjo bolt.

So my shopping list consists of:
  • 7 copper crush washers
  • one Acerbis motocross fender
  • one Tiger front brake hose
  • Various and sundry stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers

Then I have to fabricate an aluminum bracket and machine a couple  spacers from 1-inch round aluminum bar stock.

blacktiger

How much were the tubeless wheels. Do you have a 21 inch front?

Stretch

They were free.

2005-2006 models = 19 / 17-inch tubeless wheels and tires.

blacktiger

Pics, we need pics.....

I've always wondered if it would be possible to lace those BMW tubeless rims to the Tiger hubs.

Stretch

If the number of spoke holes is the same, sure.

Here's a photo of a BMW wheel.  

Give the spokes a counting, and reply back with the number of spokes on a Tiger wheel.  I'm curious about this myself, but my wheels are cast aluminum.

Whatever you decide on, this guy can build it for you:

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

--------------------------------

As for the high fender project, the parts haven't arrived yet.  I ought to be able to get started some time next week.

I'll be sure to take pics and post a write-up.

2004Tiger

I always did like the rims I had on my BMWs, and would like to go tubeless on my Tiger. I just counted my Tiger 2004 rear spokes at 40, same as the photo above, so I hope that's a rear BMW. My Tiger front is 36 spokes.

I've been into Woody's shop (he's retiring but his son will carry on), they do good work.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.