News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Iron Butt?

Started by TriumphTengu, November 20, 2007, 03:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TriumphTengu

Allright, help me out here.
We've got our tickets for  the
http://www.redbullindianapolisgp.com/
next year.  I tell my wife a couple of  weeks ago "We could ride to Little Rock one day and the rest of the way the next (1050 Miles)".
So after riding the Tiger the last couple of weeks she says
"You know we could get an "Iron Butt" award for riding up there in one day"!
Gotta love the little lady.
So who's gone a thousand in day?
Jim
Are We Having Fun Yet?

Stretch

I did it last weekend.

I rode the Tiger from Watkinsville, Georgia to Tallulah, Louisiana and back... just to do an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles in less than 24 hours).  I did 1056 miles in 18 hours and one minute.

Go to the IBA website and download and print the various forms you'll need if you want to have your ride verified and receive a certificate.

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

Your sweetie is going to ride the back seat of a Tiger for 1000+ miles?

Ooh-kaaaaaay...

TriumphTengu

Quote from: "Stretch"Your sweetie is going to ride the back seat of a Tiger for 1000+ miles?

Ooh-kaaaaaay...

Yes...She's already complained about the footpegs not being low enuff....
I've seen footpeg lowering kits.....anyone with any experience with these?
Are We Having Fun Yet?

2004Tiger

Stretch: "I rode the Tiger from Watkinsville, Georgia to Tallulah, Louisiana and back... just to do an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles in less than 24 hours). I did 1056 miles in 18 hours and one minute. "

58.67 miles per hour average. Not an easy thing to do. Short stops, no rest. You have my respect.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

TigerTrax

My buddy Jim & I rode 1147 miles in one day from Hiawassee, GA to Nebraska: '06 Tiger & '04 Tiger.

No problem.

My wife put 600 miles in one day on the back of
the Tiger: Rain - Snow- Sleet - Ice ... brutal wind.

But if you are from 'somewhere over the rainbow'....
what's the big deal . . . wait for a tornado.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

curt

Quote from: "TriumphTengu"
Quote from: "Stretch"Your sweetie is going to ride the back seat of a Tiger for 1000+ miles?

Ooh-kaaaaaay...

Yes...She's already complained about the footpegs not being low enuff....

A 500-600 mile day 2 up will tell a lot and help work out the kinks. If things are a bit uncomfortable, it only gets better after 1000. The ironbutt site and forum http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/default.asp has lots of good info. You could ask if some one has done SS1000 2 up and are they still talking....

But if you are from 'somewhere over the rainbow'....
what's the big deal . . . wait for a tornado. Now stay on trax here and repeat after me; there's no place like home, there's no place like home...
So many roads, so little time

Bruincounselor

For the Kamiah Ride in last summer I rode from Fargo to Idaho in one 100+ degree day. On the way back I rode from Kamiah to Fargo via Great Falls.

Both easily 1000+ miles. The Tiger eats miles easily.

Bruin'
Bruin\'

pit0rz

When I found my '89 FJ it was for sale in KS.  With only 7K miles on it I just couldn't resist flying out there to get it and ride her home.  That was back in 2001.  Kansas City Kansas to Schenectady NY in 20 hours.  Stopping for Gas and a Stretch every 200 miles.  One pit stop at a Burger King somewhere in OH.  The last 6 hours was in the pouring rain.  Up until that part it was a piece of cake!  :)
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

TigerTrax

Hey PitOrz....

You need to hook up with Mike Cain somewhere near Palmyra, NY.

A great guy... Loves his Tiger: mailto:mcain3@rochester.rr.com">mcain3@rochester.rr.com

Tell him Jerry passed along his e-addy.

This is a SIC group!

pit0rz

Will do!  Thanks for the heads up.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

curt

Quote from: "pit0rz"When I found my '89 FJ it was for sale in KS.  With only 7K miles on it I just couldn't resist flying out there to get it and ride her home.  That was back in 2001.  Kansas City Kansas to Schenectady NY in 20 hours.  Stopping for Gas and a Stretch every 200 miles.  One pit stop at a Burger King somewhere in OH.  The last 6 hours was in the pouring rain.  Up until that part it was a piece of cake!  :)

Now that sounds like fun  :D  :D :D
So many roads, so little time

pit0rz

It was fun but it was also not fun :cry:   The bike was pristine when I picked it up.  Never saw the rain, not once.  Then this?  I slept for about 2 hours then was out in the driveway washing it.  OCD?  yeah...
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

pit0rz

In case anyone cares... here she is in all her glory...
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Chris Canning

Done a thousand miler twice,both times with my other half on the back mid-eighties on an FJ1200,and two years ago on the Tiger although it was 1050 and it included a ferry crossing in 16 hours.

Oddly enough after that trip bought Gel seats did a couple of 600 miles days neither of our backsides have never recovered,they were sold and went back to the originals.

TigerTrax