News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

need help

Started by doc, February 23, 2008, 12:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc

ok, call me a dumb ass. nice winter day and decided to go for a ride on my 2006. took my battery off the tender, put it in the bike and hooked it up backwards, poss. to neg. there was a big spark and i blew the 30amp fuse. i replaced the fuse, hooked up the battery the right way, checked the other fuses in the fusebox. i have no electrical power now. i hope it's nothing serious. could anyone help please, thanks :oops:
doc

Digger3

Doubt that fuse reacted quick enough to save the ECU, reverse polarity probably fried it.
Rage Against Age

TigerTrax

Dang!

Doc... I think in the old days the fuse would have saved you...
with the elctronics today.... I do not know.

Since it is zero power I would think that's good. It may be a relay.
Do you have a manual with wiring diagram?

In the STARTING & CHARGING  Circuit Diagram... Here is the check list:
I'd guess you may have fried the Main Power Relay. That should be located near the fuse box. It will be a square black electrical ... I think it's out in the open... Look for a  YELLOW & BROWN wire with 3 BROWN wires
going into the relay.  TWO of those BROWN wires are coming directly off
fuses #6 & #7 in the fuse box... follow those wires to the relay, look for the YELLOW & BROWN as you go along. CHECK those 2 fuses carefully. If they are NOT blown.... you may have a fried relay!  Check fuse #2 also.

It is possible the contacts in your ignition switch and Clutch were fried
( long shots )  They are simply on the same circuit.

Good Luck!
POA: Hook a permanent pigtail for your battery tender to your battery and leave it accessible so all you have to do is plug it in.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

doc

thanks for the info. tigertrax i checked what you said, all fuses are good. the 30amp i replaced (#2) is for charging, probly why my battery would not hold a charge. i will get a relay after work tomorrow and let you know what happens. digger3, i hope it's not the ecu, i hear they're pricey. thanks again.
doc

TigerTrax

Doc... I wasn't going to mention the ECU until all else was checked..
but if you determine that's what it is.......
Give Baxter Cycle in Marne, Iowa a call and ask if they have a salvage ECU.... they just might.

doc

well i just replaced the relay and stiil no power, there is two relays, i wonder if they're both shot? the bike shop only had one in stock. anyone know how to test the ecu? any other possibilities? :(

TigerTrax

Doc...
With Ignition switch ON ....

Check for power at the Main Power Circuit Relay/ Pin #6 & #1/Brown wire.
Should look like a jumper wire... just test the wire for power.

If you have power it means your relay is good. If not it means something
is preventing that relay from activating.  Go back and check your battery connections and main fuse.... check for power at the fuse...

If you have power at the Main Power Circuit relay.... Check for power on  YELLOW/brown wire coming out of RELAY. THAT wire goes to the ECU...
If you have power  'in' ..... you probably have a fried ECU.... not good.

Kind of reminds me when last Oct a lightning strike occured at my
neighbors house...... static in the air fried the motherboard on my laptop..
I was not happy!

doc

tigertrax, i checked the wires and the relay, no power anywhere, ignition switch on, battery conections tight, but...i can't find the main fuse :?: the manual says it's outside the fusebox, where would a person find it? since there is no power to the relay i hope that is the problem. thanks for all the help.
doc

Stretch

I don't think it's the ECU.  You could completely remove the ECU and the horn and lights would still work.

Check the main fuse.  The main fuse is not in the fuse box, but plugged into the left side of the battery box.  

Remove the seats and the left side panels.  The main fuse holder (30 amp) is plugged into this pocket (from below) on the left side of the battery box.  From the left side (once you pull the panels), you will see two big brown wires going into a plug on that side of the battery box.  That plug is the fuse holder for the main fuse.

Here it is from above...

Stretch

The plug has a locking clip on it, so it will take a small screwdriver or similar tool to move the clip while you pull downward on the plug.

This is what comes out... a fuse holder plug with 30-amp fuse.

Just to test, I turned the ignition on and pulled the fuse and the whole bike went dead as a hammer.

TigerTrax

Believe it or not... that's the best news you've said!!

Check that fuse that Stretch pointed out.... hopefully it is one fried turkey!

If that thing saved your bacon.... frame it and mount it on the wall!

HappyMan

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Believe it or not... that's the best news you've said!!

Check that fuse that Stretch pointed out.... hopefully it is one fried turkey!

If that thing saved your bacon.... frame it and mount it on the wall!

No kidding.  I've been watching this thread in agony for you Doc.  I'd be surprised if this isn't the fix.  I wish you the best!
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Stretch

I'd have chimed in sooner, but I thought he had checked the main fuse days ago.  Sorry about that.

doc

i went out and found it and it was burnt, yahoo, put in a new one and she fired right up, can't thank you guys enough. this is a great site. i will be rideing across the northern states in july, i will post here and if it works we could meet for a beer. :D

Stretch

Just doing my job, ma'am.

I do drink beer, though.  :mrgreen: