News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

pick up coil???????????

Started by aeronca, May 12, 2008, 07:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeronca

well this evening before leaving for work i took the gas cap off and cleaned the area very well. i then got my compressor out and blew air down in the vent tube. i could feel the air coming out of the bottom, i also blew out the drain tube that hooks up to the tank. i did'nt notice anything unusual though, but thats not to say i didnt dislodge anything either.the area undernieth the cap (below the gasket  ) was really dirty with lot of debris and the bottom of the cap had some lite corrosion. i think this weekend i'll also pull the fuel lines and filter(the in line one as well as the factory one) and replace them(not the factory one though). the more i think about this, the more it kind of makes sense, because i'll fill the tank and ride to work and back with no problems(85-90mls), the next day i'll ride to work fine and on the way home is when it may or may not happen. thats about 1/2 or less of a tank of gas - big air bubble in the tank with no where to go(big vacume).
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

aeronca

question:  doesnt the tank vent through the gas cap like most other bikes and not the overfill tube? or does it use the overfill tube as a vent? on a side note, my '95 tank has the tube on the left side but comes out on the right bottom. i used bikebandit.com's ipc to look at the filler cap, it listed 2: 1 for california, and 1 for everyone else. california's arnt vented,which tell's  the cap does the venting so where on the cap do i find the vent hole outlet? :icon_scratch
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

On mine there is a separate vent for the tank.  The cap is not vented or water would get into the tank.  

The area around the cap has a drain in case of fuel spillage and I think you blew that one out.  That has no bearing on your problem.

There is another vent that connects to another overboard hose on the right side of your tank bottom.  Find it and blow it out.

Remove your tank if you have to.  It will be clear to you once you do so.

I'd take a photo for you, but my bike is at my pal's house having a carb going-through. :cry:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Unbolt the gas filler from the tank and when it is removed you will see a drain pipe for water to escape and not enter the tank you will also see a little white nylon cover take it off this is the vent and tipover valve , mines gutted , no tipover valve ,  also had to open up the whole with a drill bit , works awesome now .

London_Phil

Hopefully some images have appeared

Mustang

I think it matters whether you have a california gas tank or a 49 state model and the European model is probably diff. as well .
CA models also have a charcoal cannister and catalytic converter and they have solenoids on the float chambers , all to prevent spilled fuel in the event of a tipover !

aeronca

you guy's are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks for the pic's. i just got into work about 5 minutess ago and when i shut off the bike i open the tank and it sounded like i opened a can of pepsi. i didnt see the white nylon cover yesterday but will look for it when the tank comes off this weekend.    

the picture of the gas cap - is the white platic part in the middle the vent? thanks again guy's,        eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Stretch

Quote from: "Mustang"CA models also have a charcoal cannister and catalytic converter and they have solenoids on the float chambers, all to prevent spilled fuel in the event of a tipover !

C.A.R.B.   :roll:

JetdocX

Is it a sin?  I have a bike previously registered in CA and none of that crap attached to it? :shock:

Air-Knocker....take that shit off now!
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Every time somebody modifies a vehicle with California emissions, Al Gore kills a kitten.

aeronca

jetdocx - are you a fellow a&p?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

Yup!

I even been to Epic/ Easy Skool!  Shit!  I'm a systems administrator for a friggen jet now!

Treat the problem and let the symptoms point the way.

Don't fuck with what ain't broke.

You have a fuel venting problem.  Remove any Californicated shit post haste!

And I have lots of peeps related and friends in the Seattle area. :lol:

Born and raised at BFI.  Nancy at GFS hired me.
From parts unknown.

aeronca

whats gfs,  is that down at bfi? im out at seatac with alaska. as far as the bike, i dont think theres any cali stuff on it. im not sure where the bike origionated from, any idea how to find out?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

It's on the dataplate.  Mine says Cali on it.

GFS is at BFI.  But I went to SSCC for my A&P edjumacation.  And even did some teaching at Spokane CC.  A good number of my students went to Alaska Airlines after school.
From parts unknown.