News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New noise

Started by Jrod, July 21, 2008, 02:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrod

I've noticed a new noise when riding that has me a little concerned.  My 2001 has around 58k miles and I'm sure it's due a valve check,  but I have a new noise that happens when my bike accelerates under load.  

A little background on recent work done -

2 weeks ago I replaced the chain and made sure to leave enough slack (per instructions found here).  After the installation I noticed that when taking a turn and I would let the rpm's drop between 2.5-3k rpm's I would get a nasty stutter/shutter from the bike.  I figured this was because I let the rpm's get too low, so I didn't worry about it.

On to the new noise - last week I noticed that when I accelerated from a stop, or accelerated in traffic and then backed the throttle just a touch (between 3.5 - 4k rpm's in any gear) I would get a nasty metallic noise.  This is new and I've never heard it before.  I had to replace a cam chain tensioner on a previous bike and this is the closest noise I can relate it to, but the Tiger only does it with a load on it, and not when revved in neutral - so I've ruled out the cct.  

Has anyone else noticed a noise like this, or had this problem?

pit0rz

I get that chain noise if it's just a lil loose on adjustment.  And only when I lug the motor like that, under 2500 rpm...
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Jrod

Quote from: "pit0rz"I get that chain noise if it's just a lil loose on adjustment.  And only when I lug the motor like that, under 2500 rpm...

Yeah, but have you ever had the noise I was describing?  The chain noise I know and can deal with, but the noise coming from the top end of the motor has me concerned.

pit0rz

no, haven't had that other noise. Only issue lately is raw fuel spraying all over the HOT engine...  :shock:
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Jrod

flux

Bring it up to Dawsonville this weekend and we'll compare it to my 02.

Jrod

Quote from: "flux"Bring it up to Dawsonville this weekend and we'll compare it to my 02.

If I don't have to work this weekend I'll do that.  I'll shoot you a PM if I'm able to make it.  Thanks!

flux

Quote from: "Jrod"
Quote from: "flux"Bring it up to Dawsonville this weekend and we'll compare it to my 02.

If I don't have to work this weekend I'll do that.  I'll shoot you a PM if I'm able to make it.  Thanks!

No worries. I posted on your ADV thread as well. Bring that bike to ProMoto Sports in Woodstock.  They are a KTM dealer....the only shop I let work on my bikes.  They did my 12k svc on the Tiger and they did it right.  I like and trust these guys fully.  That is rare in this industry.  Also, I know the guys at motocompound in TN and I feel they would do good work as well although they are just a little far away for me.  Atl Tri/Duc really is a shithole.  The only other Tri dealer I knew of was here in Cumming, but they were not that impressive either, and anyway they went out of business.  

The offer still stands...if you can make it up let me know.  Sat pm would be best.  I think I may be on the 625SXC Sunday.  I am no mechanic but at least you could compare noises.