News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

rear brake caliper

Started by the cyclops, September 09, 2008, 12:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the cyclops

My 06 seems to be going through rear brakes very quick.  I checked them the other day like around 5k and there was about 1/3 of the pad left.  At 6k I was metal to metal.  I just thought I looked at it wrong and replaced and everthing appeared fine.  At 7.5k now I noticed some grinding back there that sounded like brakes dragging.  Checked my pads and they are wearing pretty quick looks like.  Lifted the bike and no dragging at all.  Rode and listened and it seems when the brakes get hot they start dragging.  Anyone else have this problem and found a fix?  I thought about taking the calipers apart and cleaning them thinking there may be a rough spot on something or in the fluid.  I didn't really see a rebuild kit on bikebandit's oem for rebuilding the caliper, is that correct?  I saw where you could order the pins and seals for like $150 (ouch).  Hoping I can use the old seals, etc.
Growing older but not up

Mustang

The 95 steamers were notorious for wearing out back brake pads when you were not even using the brakes .

As things would heat up it would cause the pads to rub the rotor , the cure was to just add a little xtra free play to the pedal , which made the rear brakes happy and last a lot longer .

Also the stock triumph pads suck , use EBC of Galfer

the cyclops

Growing older but not up

2004Tiger

On my 2004, I recently replaced the original rear pads at 12,000 miles. They were sintered and had a lot of life remaining until I recently burned them up on a ride to Yosemite. I ruined them accidentally because I did not realize my toe was resting on the brake pedal, so I rode the remaining 1800 miles of a 2200 mile round trip with no rear brake.

Does your toe rest on the brake pedal?
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

the cyclops

Quote from: "2004Tiger"On my 2004, I recently replaced the original rear pads at 12,000 miles. They were sintered and had a lot of life remaining until I recently burned them up on a ride to Yosemite. I ruined them accidentally because I did not realize my toe was resting on the brake pedal, so I rode the remaining 1800 miles of a 2200 mile round trip with no rear brake.

Does your toe rest on the brake pedal?
I was very careful to make sure my foot was off the pedal the 2nd time.  My buddy suggested it was a holdover from my hare scamble days when I had to keep my toe on the brake or go over the hill.
Growing older but not up

HappyMan

Tiger's rear breaks don't seem to last too long but I got over 12K out of my 06's first set.  I did some parking lot testing of hard stops to see where it was at and I found that it was a little too touchy.  I readjusted the rear break pedal after that.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

AndyM

On my 03 I changed the rear brake pads the first time at ~30k miles and the second time this weekend at 62k miles.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "andybtruckin"On my 03 I changed the rear brake pads the first time at ~30k miles and the second time this weekend at 62k miles.

:shock: Changed mine at 5k and again at 10,200 miles.  I know I'm heavy on the rear - settling it down into corners etc.,  but those miles are impressive.  What do you get out of a front set?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

AndyM

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "andybtruckin"On my 03 I changed the rear brake pads the first time at ~30k miles and the second time this weekend at 62k miles.

:shock: Changed mine at 5k and again at 10,200 miles.  I know I'm heavy on the rear - settling it down into corners etc.,  but those miles are impressive.  What do you get out of a front set?

Around 15k for the front brakes.