News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

oil consumption & Off road tune?

Started by Uralite, October 28, 2008, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uralite

Hey all, I just picked up a stock can for my 05 Girly and was considering putting it on instead of the TOR pipe. I have been consuming about 3/4 of a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I have had this happen also on my 955i Sprint as well, as well as a friend of mine's 955i Sprint. The common denominaor has been running the offroad tune for the fuel mapping? I am trying to recall if it increased oil consumption after I put an offroad can on or not. For you guys with oil burning 955i's, are you running offroad tune or stock fuel mapping? I don' know why this would be, but I may experiment......

I did have the compression checked and this was all within factory specs.

Thanks E

AndyM

My 03 Tiger burns about the same amount of oil with the stock tune.

Uralite

dang it....I was hoping I was on to something there!!

Stretch

My gas mileage went down.

'Cause now I'm all the time opening up the throttle to hear the pipe.   :roll:

:mrgreen:

Uralite

I agree that the TOR pipe sounds real nice, but it does drop the mileage from 47 to 42 MPG. I guess on a tour this can make a difference.....

Stretch, I saw your kits on ADV rider for the high mount fenders. Nice stuff.

REGULATOR

I had a 2001 Sprint ST with a Staintune pipe and Off road tune,  never burned a drop of oil in 20,000 lus miles...

darmah

---Quote (Originally by darmah)---
Saw your forum entry. I have 100k on a 2000 tiger and at 80k started consuming oil. If your airbox is getting oil in it then the centrifugal crank oil vent on the left hand side of the engine may have a bad oil seal. This allows for the negative pressure in the airbox to sump oil out of the crankcase, then it is burned in the engine giving the same look of bad valeguide seals or roings. There is a line off the back of the airbox routed down the right side frame down behind the swingarm that is plugged on the end. Remove the internal plug by squeezing it out from above and see if there is any oilk in the line. If there is it has come from only one place, your crankcase!
dress for the +#@!! fall, not the ride!

matttys

Quote from: "Uralite"Stretch, I saw your kits on ADV rider for the high mount fenders. Nice stuff.

Link please  :D

Mine used a quart of oil in 1000 miles at an average speed of 87 mph  :roll:  MPG was in the 30s :oops:
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

darmah

if your filter is soaked in oil that would suck for fuel (har) consumption. @ 100k + I get 45mpg stedy 75mph
dress for the +#@!! fall, not the ride!

2004Tiger

Quote from: "matttys"Mine used a quart of oil in 1000 miles at an average speed of 87 mph  :roll:  MPG was in the 30s :oops:
My 2004, on a very quick round trip to Yosemite and back totaling 2300 miles, averaged 50 MPG and used not enough oil to require topping up. Stock tune, stock pipe, riding solo with a duffel bag and panniers.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

matttys

Quote from: "2004Tiger"My 2004, on a very quick round trip to Yosemite and back totaling 2300 miles, averaged 50 MPG and used not enough oil to require topping up.

How many miles were on your bike and how fast were you riding.  At an average speed of 87 mph as measured by my GPS that means that I was cruising at 95-100 most of the way and only really slowed down in heavy traffic.  I don't doubt that if I were topping out at 75 mph the oil consumption and fuel mileage would be a bit different.  I don't have too, too much experience with these bikes, but I've been reading that oil consumption is just the nature of the beast (especially on my bike with 29k miles).

2004Tiger

I started the trip at 10K miles. In open country I cruised at 90 MPH. Lots of slow towns and mountain traffic, but I clocked two 1100 mile days.
Edit
I forgot: I am using a 19 tooth front sproket, 18 is standard. Also, I ride fast, but see no need to start fast, revving only to mid-range in each gear, with moderate throttle. It makes sense that fast cruising is less of an oil and gas user than fast starting.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Advwannabe

My '02 has just started using a bit of oil. in the last two service intervals (10000k) the bike has used about a pint of oil. Pretty negilable, with no difference in consumption since I fitted the Staintune and off road map. Like Stretch says though its using a bit more fuel because of the way its being operated  :wink:
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Stretch

Quote from: "matttys"
Quote from: "Uralite"Stretch, I saw your kits on ADV rider for the high mount fenders. Nice stuff.

Link please  :D

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266677

matttys