News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Good price on a 2005?

Started by EvilBetty, November 04, 2008, 05:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

I would do the 24,000 mile service on it right now.  That way you can ride, ride, ride. 8)

Looking for a link to the scheduled maintenance checklist.....standby while I trip over my thumbs in the interwebs. :lol:

Edit:  I found a link from the RAT site:
http://www.triumph.co.uk/media/enTiger955cc2001onwards.pdf
From parts unknown.

EvilBetty

Uh oh... the price of the bike is going up again! :(

How much "should" the 24,000 mile service cost depending if the valves need adjusted or not?

Thanks for the PDF link btw.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Mustang

the 24k service at the stealer is going to be a big one prolly easy in the $500-600 range
order  a workshop manual the triumph bible is good but expensive haynes is ok , me I like the bible .
ride your "new " bike for a week or so while you wait for a manual and then do the 24k service yourself and get to know your 'new' bike , assuming you are somewhat familiar with the buisness end of a wrench .

EvilBetty

EvilBetty

Ok maybe a rash purchase, but the $1000 quote from my Triumph dealer scared me into a BuyItNow...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph- ... otohosting

Right one?  Overpaid badly?

Stretch

That's the one.  Pretty good price for the genuine Triumph™ article.  There are copies out there for $20 or so, but that's copyright infringement, piracy, etc.

EvilBetty

Cool.

If the original had cost $20 I'd scold those nasty piratez, but for over $100 I say make all the copiez you want.  In fact PM me if you want me to demonstrate how my flat bed scanner works :)

Bikes should come with it in my opinion.

Stretch

Thanks, but I'm already a manual pirate.

Yaaaarrrrr!!!

EvilBetty

Thanks again guys!  But...

So my girl friend and I head out on our bikes.  My first real ride on the Tiger, and our first real ride together on separate bikes.

I knew of a nice 45mph road through southern Kansas City with lots of trees and twisties.  We rode all the way up and were half-way back before disaster struck.

I was daydreaming through most of the ride back but still paying attention.  We were heading toward yet another curve.  I was in the shade.  Just as I began to evaluate the curve to adjust my speed, the sun (which was directly in front of me) came out from behind a tree and blinded me.  My instincts took precedence over what I knew, and I decided to straighten the bike up and come to stop.  Next thing I knew the bike and I were on our left side.

I looked up to check on my girl friend and she was coming to stop but in a panic forgot to put her foot down and fell over as well.  She fell in the middle of the road just around the curve so I bolted up, got her to the side of the rode then moved her bike to the shoulder, just in time to miss a Jeep coming around too fast.

My bike was completely off on the shoulder.  After checking again that everyone was fine and out of the road, I squatted down and picked up the bike.  I had a scrape through my jeans and under layer to the skin on my left knee, and my ankle felt a little sprained.  Jacket seems to have saved my wrist.  My girl friend was completely fine.

Her bike suffered a little nibble out of the left grip end (sliders will be added soon).  My bike... suffered far worse.  After setting the bike up I see the front faring is cracked and scraped up.  I thought the crash bar would have protected this.  I checked the crash bar and tank and they are fine... a little dust.  The left pannier is shattered.  Other than that the only other damage was a little rash on the left handlebar slider.

After standing there for a second thinking through what happened this is what I surmised.  4 factors contributed to this wreck:

• My inexperience with this bike.
  • Sudden panic when I lost my vision.
  • My decision to stop, instead of lean and throttle.
  • The soft and loose gravel shoulder.

I was entering the curve.  Right before I was blinded, I felt the bikes weight try to pull me out of the curve.  Any other time I would have leaned harder and gave it more gas.  But the shock of losing my vision made me react instinctively, which was to stop.  I was slowing fine but when my tires hit this very loose gravel the bike came out from under me (wonder if ABS would have stopped this?).  When the crash bar hit the gravel it dug in about 4 inches or more, letting the faring hit and drag as well in the gravel.

Pics:

So... how much do you guess am I out to get this repaired.

Is the pannier modular?  Can I take it apart and just replace just the painted plastic that is damaged?

Cos

Jeebus...glad you're relatively ok.

I don't think the ABS could do shit for once you'd already hit the gravel, but that's my opinion.

Let's see...it's about 300 bucks for a new front fairing.

The bags are modular but you'll have to scrounge that front plastic from somewhere cause i'm almost positive that Triumph does not sell the pieces individually.

John Stenhouse

That's really bad man, I feel real sorry for you. ABS wouldn't have helped I don't think.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

HockleyBoy

Glad you are ok.

The damage probably isnt as bad as it looks, that side pannier probably saved you from a lot of damage, went down on mine on the left side a couple of months back on a diesel spill (without the panniers on) and managed to run up a repair bill of £3,200!.

The fairing is easy to replace and shouldn't cost too much, the pannier covers can be bought seperately but are quite expensive from Triumph, worth looking for on ebay, I picked up a brand new one for £20 a while back
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

EvilBetty

Thanks guys!

Yeah I've been watching the US eBay since getting my Tiger.  There is rarely anything on there of note.

The UK eBay on the other hand seems to be a treasure trove of parts.  They sellers won't always ship to the US, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

There are not any fairings on there right now, and all the panniers are either full sets or right side lids.  I need a left.

Is there anything solid to mount Pannier crash bars to?  :lol: