News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Look What the Brown Truck Brought Me Today!

Started by JetdocX, March 05, 2009, 03:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mordo

Dude, I feel for you.  I replaced the chokes on my carbs las week and now the bike won't run at all.  I finally gave in a gave it to Triumph to fix.  After a year of trying to tune the carbs I've had enough.

Granted, my problems aren't as bad as yours (knock on wood), but I won't be riding my Tiger for a couple more weeks.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Those carbs are another source of pain for me as well.  

I'd trade this thing for a T595 right now.  I think a DR650 is the way to do dual sport. :wink:

Well at least you have an F650 to ride, right?  Hope you didn't make the same mistake I did and sell it! :cry:

Nah, I've thrown too much $$$ and time and stomach acid at this project to give up now.  It's the take one thing apart and find five more things fucked up part that really pisses me off.  It's a challenge. If it doesn't kill me, it might make me stronger (albeit broke). :lol:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

Yep, I still have my Funduro.  I realized a while back that as much as I ride I'd need two bikes in case one broke.  I really, really want a Scrambler or Bonneville to replace my F650, but I'm moving this year so money is somewhat tight.

Maybe in a year or two I'll upgrade.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Well, now, I'm finally back where I was a month ago.  Removed the cyclinders and pistons.  Cleaned the whole mess up.  Blasted the piston crowns to remove the carbon coke there.  Put the pistons back on the crank rods (and managed NOT to drop any of the circlips into the sump!)

After two tries the dealer finally got some Hylomar to seal the cylinder bases.  I cleaned the cyl's up (crosshatching still there!) Used copious quantities of the creamy blue stuff on the base seal area and slowly worked the cyl's on by one back on to the pistons.  Easier than it sounds, there is no room in there for a ring compressor, but they machined a taper into the cylinder base to help comrpess the rings.

I'm even taking pics and will post those in a separate thread in case any of the mods want to clip and paste them into the steamer maint. thread.  

Tomorrow I'm going for the cylinder head and getting it torqued down.  I would have done that tonight, but the tools I need are at work :evil: .  Good thing the Hylomar stays semi-flexible.

Progress! :D
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Went from this:

to this today:

I'd have gotten further but I'm lazy and I needed a cold beer.
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Quote from: "Mustang"The arrows on the cams should be pointing at each other when the #1 is at top dead center if they were not then someone didn't put it back together right last time it was apart and had the teeth of the cam gears off , when you put it back together you should actually have to pry the chain over the intake cam gear to keep the arrows lined up .

Not in my case.  The arrows point away from each other.  No shit!  Mustang, if you like I can go into detail with pics of the cams in the right positions and the wrong positions.  I checked to make sure I had the right gear mounting position on the correct cam and they were correct.  I love it when my bike differs from the service manual!
From parts unknown.

Mustang

JetdocX

Quote from: "Mustang"show me

Check your email.  I'm almost positive some jackass put the gears on 180 out or backwards or stomped the arrow on the wrong side of both gears. :roll:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Works both ways.  Arrows pointing at each other or arrows pointing away from each other.  It's a British quirk.  Like riding on the wrong side of the road...ducking the coming flamestorm. :lol:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Cranked it up last night.  It runs!  It holds all it's fluids in the correct recepticles.  The rad fan turns on when it normally would on the operational temp gage!  And it turns off, too.  It even runs quieter!

I am currently two Uni filters and some side plastic away from actually riding this beast! :D  :D  :D   This will happen as soon as I get back from my morning bicycle torture.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Stretch

JetdocX

GRRRRRR! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

60 mile shakedown cruise today.  Oil is good.  Coolant is good.  Power is great since I tweaked the idle mix a hair lean and raised the needles a washer.  Almost there.....

I'll do the pegs later, Mustang.  I'd rather ride it than fook around with the shift and brake levers.
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"Works both ways.   It's a British quirk.  Like riding on the wrong side of the road...ducking the coming flamestorm. :lol:

Ahem ! I believe it was a small French gentleman who made so many change because he was a leftie, usually English arrows are pointed at the the French  :oops:  :P

I better call a halt there incase I upset our French or English bretheren, especially being a Scot myself  :roll:

Back on topic - I have read a thread somewhere on fitting a steamer with FI kit from a Girly, can't seem to find it again. I can't remember if they used the Sagem ECU, an aftermarket one or Megasquirt. I never was very handy with carbs.

Reason I am asking is I have just aquired a '96 that, although it runs quite well, I have plans for it and FI might be in the mix if it's viable.

I am intending to use her for longer road trips, although some of the 'roads' in rural Thailand, Laos and Cambodia I believe are more what would be considered forest or fire trails, fuel quality is often an issue, Thailand uses high ethanol content which has reportedly given issues with some carbs.

Don't mean to hijack this, maybe it warrants a separate thread, opinions?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint