News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Horn relocation... need ideas...

Started by flux, April 19, 2009, 01:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtphreak

Quote from: "matttys"My stebel is on the left and the compressor is behind the tail light.

Notice the tube for the compressor/horn.

what's involved in separating the compressor from the horns??

matttys

A screwdriver, vise and mallet.  Ultimately you have to get over your fear that you will break it and just start wacking it.  You will need a plastic male king nipple (this is what you would use if you were putting to garden hoses together with hose clamps and not 3/4" couplers).  Epoxy the nipple in and run a hose to the compressor.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

xtphreak

Quote from: "matttys"A screwdriver, vise and mallet.  Ultimately you have to get over your fear that you will break it and just start wacking it.  You will need a plastic male king nipple (this is what you would use if you were putting to garden hoses together with hose clamps and not 3/4" couplers).  Epoxy the nipple in and run a hose to the compressor.

ok I used a Wolo (looks just like Stebel) Bad Boy
took a flatblade screwstick under the catch over the air fitting and pop ... separated, no muss no fuss
compressor under tail section by tail light

relay under seat with hose and wiring, 30A fuse at battery, 10AWG wire for the power ... 2 conductor 17AWG in jacket (old vacuum cleaner cord) for relay trigger from original horn circuit.

I used spade connectors plugged into the stock wiring, with another pc of wire coming out of the connectors to the original horn, for now.

these are the "tap plates" I mentioned before for easy multiple attachments directly to the battery

horn (horn trimmed a bit to fit) on left frame tube with ty-wraps thru holes drilled in "wings"

I decided to stick the compressor in a cloth bag for some filtering, lotsa fine dust under the tail piece

works good, but there's a slight delay because of the hose, unless you just blew it ...
so I left the stock horn wired in parallel with the relay. plus if the wolo dies (as I read a lot of the stebels do), I still have a horn installed ...

probably gonna add a switch in the fairing to select stock horn alone or both horns ...
that way I can use the stocker to get the attention of fellow riders without the inherent heart attack of the air horn.

oh, forgot a finished shot

and the sticker too  :wink:

[/img]

matttys

Looks like a good install to me.  Congrats!

EvilBetty

I was thinking of installing a Stebel Magnum in the OEM horn location, but I concerned with the mounting angle of the horn.  I would think you would want it mounted forward, but then it's catching rain and bugs.  Down would be the best option, but the OEM location is horizontal.  

Ideas?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I was thinking of installing a Stebel Magnum in the OEM horn location, but I concerned with the mounting angle of the horn.  I would think you would want it mounted forward, but then it's catching rain and bugs.  Down would be the best option, but the OEM location is horizontal.  

Ideas?

Just mounted mine onto the original mount, horn faces to the left and is horizontal to avoid snagging but is plenty loud enough. Had it on maybe a couple of years with no problems. Did have to leave off the loose plastic cover I think. No time at all to fit as you dont have to mess with the wiring, its plug and play  :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

EvilBetty

Good to know, thanks!

matttys

The stock horn location has a good bit of room up there.  I don't think you'd have too much of a problem.

tett

Now to resurrect an old thread

Honked at a squirrel today and it just looked at me and I swear it started to laugh.  I can hear the squirrel laughing and saying " sounds just like my aunt May farting"!  :ImaPoser

Gotta get a new horn for my Girly.

Are you guys still happy using a Nautilus?

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

:ImaPoser

Almost a year on the Vara and still working well, almost embarassed to use it at times  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

akey

I have a set of motrax hooters mounted close to the stock mount.  Its 2 horns so one fits on the standard mount and one just under it.  Not quite as loud as the steible horns but good enough to get the attention of the old woman about to pull out on me the other day.

Nice and cheap at £10 as well.

jonathan jaecks

I put a FIAMM highway blaster in the stock horn location...just barely fits but is awesome.  132dB and gets a far better response from cell phone distracted drivers than the stocker, which imho is almost useless.  A friend of mine swapped his stock unit out for the Stebel, both work equally well...would not even consider keeping the stock unit.

EvilBetty

Quote from: "jonathan jaecks"I put a FIAMM highway blaster in the stock horn location...just barely fits but is awesome.  132dB and gets a far better response from cell phone distracted drivers than the stocker, which imho is almost useless.  A friend of mine swapped his stock unit out for the Stebel, both work equally well...would not even consider keeping the stock unit.

Which one did you go with, the high or the low?

daveb

I fitted an alternaitve horn on to my TDM, 130dB twin horns, I have yet to fit them to the Tiger.

they are Motrax hootaz £10

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5657 ... Two-Wheels

jonathan jaecks

E. Betty,

I am only using one so I'd recommend the low tone...also requires a 5v relay.  If you don't have a relayed accessory block under the seat a relay will fit behind the headlights.  I have the horn pointed straight forward (hits who I fire it at) and ride in the rain all the time with no issues.

Jonathan