News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Just checked my valve lash.

Started by Milton, July 11, 2009, 07:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milton

Need some advice from the collective wisdom here. Just did my valve lash and found:

Exhaust: All checked ok at .20 mm (.23 mm tight) one is .15mm (.18 mm tight).

Intakes: All checked ok at .10 mm (.13 mm tight) one is .08 mm (.10 mm tight).

Tiger has 44k miles. Should I bring all the intakes to the high side of the spec, I'm thinking I should? Should the one exhaust be brought to the high side of the spec?

I took out the cams to do this and the shims were still difficult to remove. Only one original intake (at least stamped) shim. All but 2 of the exhaust shims are original. I say this because of the ones I think are not original  have no size markings or markings of any kind.

Thanks for your help.

Milton S.
1992 BMW K100RS 4V 49K Broken but not dead. She shall arise from the ashes!

1998 Triumph Tiger. This bike rocks!

Mustang

What you have got right now for clearances would be good to get thru the rest of the season and then this winter check em again and see which ones if any have changed , and then this winter do a shim job and set all the clearances to the high on the intakes at .15 mm and I'd probably just leave the exhausts alone except for the one that is at .15 make it be .20 mm

You can tell if the shims are the ones from the factory build if the thicknesses of the shims are in the 2.7 to 2.8 range that's usually what they are when the motor was NEW.

The markings wear off sometimes , use a micrometer