News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Steamer Experience

Started by Nick Calne, July 25, 2009, 09:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

With my speedo cable dangling, if I'm in town (Singapore it's all town  :roll: )

I stay with or just ahead of the traffic, at 90 kph legal maximum it's always a drag and tempting to be naughty.

Out on the highway I use my GPS as I have it on most of the time anyway to monitor my fuel (float switch knacked too) find where I am going and listen to tunes.

Bicycle speedo is a good :idea: though  Nick.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bjago

Coming sport bikes, I wanted a change of pace. I started looking at BMW GS's and searching the interwebs for info. A friend in California turned me onto the idea of a Tiger, specifically a steamer. My friend in Cali also found me a VERY clean and well appointed model at a dealer in NorCal. My 98 BRG Tiger was test rode, and looked over extensively and finally purchased, back in 04 with a scant 11K miles coming with all 3 luggage bags, Thunderbike crash bars, the tall Powerbronze shield, Corbin saddle and even a bike cover and battery tender I was soooo happy.  I bought the bike on a sat and rode it without worry over 400 miles the next day, just to check it out. Then since I live in Washington I had to get it home, a rode trip was in order a 650 mile rode trip only two days after buying this new love. The day I accquired my love

I must say this bike has been nothing but fun, NO DAR, Only one broken speedocable, (but I knew it was gonna happen so I already had a Sigma bike speedo added) a couple sets of steering head bearings, two chains two chain rub blocks, 4 sets of front brake bads and 2 sets of rears, a K & N air filter (cleaned 6 to 8 times [sucks to deal with]), stock suspension( soon to address this) 3 chains (thanks to Scottoiler), 3 valve adjustments (damn the valves are receeding) 2 AGM batteries. ECT....I'm sure there are several things I have forgotten.

My steamer has taken me to numerous locations a "normal" looking bike could only take me if you want to deal with the damage that is obvious to happen.

From the odd gravel road that catches the eye on a ride up to Mt St Helens, to riding on the beach near Long Beach Washington to a rode trip to and from Cali via the coast road.

I LOVE this bike my Steamer is an extension of me, not the best looking, not the best performing, but always willing to give it a try.  :D
05 Triumph Tiger 45K miles (lucifer orange)
98 Triumph Tiger 80K miles (sold)
98 Triumph T595 33K miles (sold :-(
04 MV Agusta Brutale 2500 miles (wifes)
93 GSXR 1100 85K miles (totalled)
91 GSXR 750 75K miles (sold)
86 Ninja 600 (sold)