News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

plagued with inexperience

Started by Shtiffirg, July 29, 2009, 03:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shtiffirg

Hey everyone, I'm a total newbie to: this site, motorcycles, and my Girly (that feels good to say)! I literally bought and picked up my first motorcycle yesterday. On my way home, in rush hour traffic, the engine just cuts out and won't restart. I got off to the side of the highway and kind of just sat there for a moment...then tried again. It started this time, but when I shifted into gear (with the clutch fully depressed) the engine stalled. This happened about 4 times before I was running again! Any suggestions... the one thing I can say is that when I put it in gear there was a chunking sort of sound but the bike didn't lurch like the engine was engaging. I really hope this doesn't sound too serious.

Mustang

the clunking when going into 1st gear is normal " they all do that "
and if the bike was running good with no problems and no check engine light came on I would be suspect of the kickstand switch playing up on you . if you are a total nOOb it might be wise to take it to a dealer to repair .

Welcome to the world of TIGERS  ........everyone looks like this ......... :love10

coachgeo

Sounds like your a Newb all the way around.  I'm like you.  Well maybe 99% newb.

Anyway... hope you take a MC riders course.  HIGHLY reccomended by all the folk at Adventure Riders B.Board and its pretty much where all the folk who know their shiat hang out.  

In defense of this board..... these guys know their shiat too.  Very specific to TTigers with ADV Riders more broad.  Good and bad to both scenarios.  Most here are members there too it seems.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

SERadtke

Quote from: "Mustang"if the bike was running good with no problems and no check engine light came on I would be suspect of the kickstand switch playing up on you .

+1

If you were closer I'd be happy to help, but as it were, the commute would be a killa! :wink:
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

flux

I agree with the Sidestand Safety Switch theory.  If you look down at the bolt holding the sidestand onto the bike you will see a wire behind it going into a device that has a plunger on it... That is designed basically so you don't ride off with the sidestand down, possibly causing 'bodily harm'.  I'd start there.

Shtiffirg

thanks for all the suggestions... i'm sure i'll be asking for more advice in the future!