News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Watch those throttle cables!

Started by RiderX, August 05, 2009, 09:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiderX

While doing some investigation on my '98 Tiger that was not running as it should I happened to pull out the throttle cable (attached to my carbs). What I saw gave me quite a shock.  I noticed the throttle cable was worn through right in the middle of the cable. It was worn all the way through the insulation and part way through the metal shielding. I was planning on a solo 6-hour ride next weekend (Boise to Lewiston) and the thought of what might have happened along the way is still giving me the willies! :shock:

This may or may not be part of your regular maintenance routine, but I read several advrider face plant reports that were the result of stuck throttle cables. Do yourself a favor and do a visual and lube every few k miles.

JetdocX

Don't lube the cable.  It's teflon lined and this will invite more gunk, dirt, and general crap into the cable.

Replace it at the 24,000 mile service.  Just do it.  It's way easier to do in your warm garage than out on the trail.
From parts unknown.

RiderX

"Lube the cables" is what the Triumph parts guy said. It never occurred to me either, but it was easy enough to replace it and not all that spendy, comparatively.