News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head lights do not work.

Started by Milton, September 19, 2009, 02:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milton

Hope some one can help me track this problem down.

My headlights do not work any more. I was on a trip through B.C the first week of August and some one pointed out that my brights were not working. Fine my lows were still operational. Last weekend I went for a dirt ride and someone pointed out that my dims were no longer working but when I stopped for gas I noticed they were working again. Rode back home through some dirt and noticed they were not working again but they came back on once I got on the pavement (which was good because it was dusk and I still had 40 miles to get home). The dims stopped working some time this week and have not come back on.

I took everything apart today and looked at the bulbs. They are H4 60/55 and the lower filament on both bulbs were gone, great problem solved, but on replacement with 2 new bulbs they are still not working.

When I switch between high and low beam I can feel/hear the headlight relays clicking.

Mechanically I am fairly skilled but with electronics I am functionally retarded.  Any directions on where I might look would be greatly appreciated.

Its a 1998.

Thanks,

Milton S.
1992 BMW K100RS 4V 49K Broken but not dead. She shall arise from the ashes!

1998 Triumph Tiger. This bike rocks!

nightrunner

If you have a volt meter or DMM or even a 12 volt test light; its pretty easy.  Sounds a lot like loose connections somewhere.  I would first check that I have 12 volts at the headlight connector for both high and low beam.  If not, it could be corroded contacts at the relays.  If ou can hear them engauge, then you know you have a signal reaching the relays.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

oxnsox

I'd start by checking your voltage, at the battery. First, with everything off (inc Key), next key on but not running, then at at idle, then at around 1500rpm. Why??

My first thoughts, based on your description were that you maybe have a bad earth connection... because both Headlights are affected.
...and that or another bad connection point, that is common to your lights would be a good place to start.

But having had a thunk, and based upon the fact that you have blown 2 bulbs... it may be a charging system issue
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sin_Tiger

I agree, it has to be something that is common to both so that should narrow it down a bit and more than likely a poor connection given your description of the circumstances.

If you are lucky the cause of the blown filaments may be no more than the fact that the dips get more usage than the mains and hence are going to be the first thing to go, I don't recall ever having replaced a dual filament lamp (H4) due to a blown main. The fact that the power may have been going on and off repeatedly might just have caused enough thermal shock to fry them.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tim

Same thing happened to my '98 last month, except it was the loss of the low beams.  Reverse your relays to see if you have any change. I orginally thought one of my relays had went and went to the local car parts outlet and picked up some replacements (they're standard car stuff, check the pin layout and match the model numbers) started monkeying around and then lost both high and low beams.  
It wasn't my relays which were the problem it was the connections.  Check and clean all connections on your relays and wiring. Once it was working I wrapped it all good with extra electrical tape and secured it well so it doesn't bounce around.
Fixed.

Good Luck
Tim
Never under-estimate old guys on old bikes

Milton

Hey, Thanks for all the good responses. Made me realize I was just going to have to roll up my sleeves and get dirty tracing this thing out. I didn't have to trace too long.

The high and low beam relays seem to be fine. While probing around in the wiring under the headlights I noticed a third relay connection which I had overlooked before because it just didn't seem to fit into the headlight problem/wiring. I noticed that the wiring connector that plugs onto it had one connector melted somewhat (so much for fuses working as expected). I pulled this connector apart and cleaned it up as much as I could (relay spades also) and plugged it back together and viola headlights again. The plastic that melted around the one connector is still getting hot and also causing the headlights to flicker if I jiggle it so I've got another connector harness ordered for $16 which I will splice in when it gets here sometime this week (crossed fingers). I will be cleaning and smearing all connections with dielectric grease.

Anyway problem solved and thanks for all the good tips.

Milton S.
1992 BMW K100RS 4V 49K Broken but not dead. She shall arise from the ashes!

1998 Triumph Tiger. This bike rocks!