News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1997 Tiger 900 question, new guy to the Tiger Team Hello!!

Started by ramseybella, September 20, 2009, 11:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramseybella

OK,
I am about to get me a used Tiger 1997 $2.400 35,600 miles, Corbin seat not in photo, bags not in photos, this is the first I have seen it not in person.
Guy tells me it runs perfect, strong and does not burn oil he bougt it from a motor cycle mechanic three years ago. You guys think it is a good deal at this point? planning on taking a 7.5 hour trip next weekend to make up my mind anything I should ask? :roll: Don't want a bank buster I understand Triumph moters are built like a S**T brick house but I see you guys having problems. I asked the guy stuff like any oil or coolant leaks, stalling after riding for long hours, having idle surges. he say the rear light stays on some times and that was it.

Mustang

I don't see a remote resovoir for the rear shock attached to the cyl head on the left hand side ....that tells me that the shock has been possibly replaced . but in looking at the photos closer it looks like it might just be hanging loose under the seat and is still running the POS stock Kayaba shock which WILL need to be replaced and will cost big money .

Don't like those pod air filters  ..should be easy enuff to return to stock , but the jetting is probably wrong for a stock air box now .

Looks like the lower chain rub block is missing .makes it hard to properly adjust the chain .

Tires look to be about shot .

Check the brakes and rotors over , and look to see if the rear sprocket is worn , if it is than the front one is certainly knackered .

If the motor runs good and strong with no oil burning  . you should be all set
coils and ignition sensors are the big failure items on a 97 tiger ..ask if they have been replaced .

I would see if I could get him down to 2k or less
as it looks in the photos you are going to be spending possibly 5 to 700 bucks to bring it up to snuff , for brakes chain and sprockets and rub block with chain slider  and a new set of sneakers
and if it needs coils and ignition sensor you will be putting out another 2-300 bucks .
and that is if you do the service yourself .

Otherwise the 93-98 tigers are a ball .

The mikunis on the 97 tigers sometimes need to be gone thru also .

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"I don't see a remote resovoir for the rear shock attached to the cyl head on the left hand side ....that tells me that the shock has been possibly replaced . but in looking at the photos closer it looks like it might just be hanging loose under the seat and is still running the POS stock Kayaba shock which WILL need to be replaced and will cost big money .

Don't like those pod air filters  ..should be easy enuff to return to stock , but the jetting is probably wrong for a stock air box now .

Looks like the lower chain rub block is missing .makes it hard to properly adjust the chain .

Tires look to be about shot .

Check the brakes and rotors over , and look to see if the rear sprocket is worn , if it is than the front one is certainly knackered .

If the motor runs good and strong with no oil burning  . you should be all set
coils and ignition sensors are the big failure items on a 97 tiger ..ask if they have been replaced .

I would see if I could get him down to 2k or less
as it looks in the photos you are going to be spending possibly 5 to 700 bucks to bring it up to snuff , for brakes chain and sprockets and rub block with chain slider  and a new set of sneakers
and if it needs coils and ignition sensor you will be putting out another 2-300 bucks .
and that is if you do the service yourself .

Otherwise the 93-98 tigers are a ball .

The mikunis on the 97 tigers sometimes need to be gone thru also .

Thanks Mustang, I was thinking $2.400 a bit steap for the miles.
And being in Colorado mountains it is hard miles, lots of shifting.

JetdocX

Don't forget to take a look at the brakes.  The fronts will easily cost you $500.
From parts unknown.

97tiger885

QuoteDon't like those pod air filters ..should be easy enuff to return to stock , but the jetting is probably wrong for a stock air box now .

Mustang, I have been thinking about changing to the pod filters due to ease of accessibility and cost.   Why do you prefer the stock set-up?

Mustang

Quote from: "97tiger885"
QuoteDon't like those pod air filters ..should be easy enuff to return to stock , but the jetting is probably wrong for a stock air box now .

Mustang, I have been thinking about changing to the pod filters due to ease of accessibility and cost.   Why do you prefer the stock set-up?
dust and dirt as well as water causes many problems on the tigger .
The pods will get water saturated in a good all day driving rain ..............
and K&N 's will just plain ingest dirt into the motor , have seen it many times on other bikes/cars  that run K&N 's