News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HID lighting systems

Started by Advwannabe, January 06, 2010, 06:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Has anyone fitted such a system to a Girly?

A friend has them on his Weestrom and the results are impressive.

Potential problems I see are the not very generous High voltage lead from the ballast box means that I will almost certainly have to mount the ballast boxes inside the fairing.

Second issue is the mechanical shutter for low beam. I've heard of a couple of these jamming on high beam rendering the rider very unpopular with people coming the other way.

Otherwise this could be a very worthwhile mod

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Chris Canning

Strangely i've had an HID light on another bike for years,i've just been bone idle to fit one on the Tiger,part i guess because of fitting 2 bulbs and ballast boxs,even though one dip is more than enough,i've certainley never felt i needed a main beam thats for sure,but with size of the latest ballast boxs,fitting behind the fairing won't be an issue.

Medic09

Although more costly, I'm thinking of adding HID in the form of running lights like the Trail Techs.  Simple to install and easily removable if I sell the bike, and gives me more lights for conspicuity.
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

Bixxer Bob

Been running them on the Blackbird for years with no probs AND I took a punt on a cheap set from China.

Blackbird has stacked lights though, one for dip, one for main; I'd be curious to see how you get on with the combo bulbs on the Tiger.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bigred

I've just fitted hi/low H4 HID's to my tiger and they are fantastic. Yes, it was a tight squeeze getting the ballasts and extra wiring behind the fairing but the result is very impressive. Strong bright white light in a nice even spread, very happy.

Wayne

ps, I'm new to the forum although i've been lurking for ages. Hello everyone.

Bixxer Bob

Welcome!!!

Do you get HID dip and halogen main with an H4 bulb? and have you fitted the extra relays to have both lights on all the time?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bigred

Thanks BB,

Yup, both headlights all relayed up and two H4 hi/low HID units fitted. It's like having a small sun on the front of your bike  8)

Wayne

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

jonathan jaecks

Wanted to install more light on the 06' after my last cross country trip.  Just getting around to doing it now before a road trip in mid February.  Considered converting the twin beams to HID but I'm yet to see any great photos of usable light since the lenses have a considerable contribution to the light pattern. Soooo, I'm installing a relay and Trail Tech HID's (one spot, one flood) on my Touratech bars for higher speed night legs.  I should have them in and tested by early February, if anyone is interested I'll post before/after and wiring pics.  They will be plugged into a Centech AP-1 accessory fuse block mounted above and behind the upper/rear shock mount.

Jonathan
06' Tiger (under construction)

Sasquatch

I installed a set of dual hi/low HID lights from Futurevisionhid.com.  Great people to work with.  As an earlier poster said it was a real pain to fit the two ballasts behind the faring, and if I was to do it again I would get the mini ballasts.

Light output increase is remarkable.  I spent the time to make sure the lights were adjusted properly, but let me tell you.  I have never had slow cars pull off in turn outs like they do now.  I ride up and stage myself on their left side with my headlight in their side mirror and BAM!, they pull off in the next slow vehicle turn out, even in broad daylight.

I rarely get flashed by oncoming drivers, so I know they are adjusted properly.

As as side note, I am now building relay kits for the stock headlight systems that are plug and play.  Even though the Tiger is relay'ed, there is still almost a 2 volt drop in voltage at the headlights.  I will post in the appropriate forum about these within a few days.

matttys

I had TT HID lights on my Girly and went through three different lights before asking for my money back.  The ballasts would burn out within an hour of turning them on. . . great output, but I swear they would hardly ever work!

Ended up going with the LED VisionX lights.  Bright (not as much as the HIDs), but they are stone reliable and they draw 10w.  LED is the future.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

Sin_Tiger

I got a couple of sets from HID50.com , good honest and helpful guy to deal with, only does bikes and a lot of useful impartial advice on his website too.

Can't vouch for the longevity yet as I still haven't gotten around to fitting them  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sasquatch

I have had mine for about 2 years and 20k miles so far with no failures.

RT

Think there is a discount for future vision on adv rider forum.  10 or 15% if I remember right.  Check the vendor portion of the forum.

This is link to thread.   you have to read through it but pretty sure i remember a discount.  If nothing else ton's of info on HID

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ure+vision
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

EvilBetty

I wanna see some pictures / videos of HID's on a Girly!
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD