News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Power Gains - TOR exhaust and remap

Started by CornishJimbob, January 25, 2010, 04:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornishJimbob

Hi all

another question for ya (could be the start of many! - hope you don't mind)

I have fitted the Triumph race exhaust and had the remap done at my local Triumph dealer - there is a definite noticable increase in performance - how much extra BHP does this modification add?

Also, are there any other areas I can work on to improve performance (you can never have TOO much power IMO)

thanks

Jim

Bixxer Bob

Blueflame and some mapping has given me 102.5 bhp at the rear wheel on the dyno.  Dunno what it was before but claims are that they make 107 bhp at the crank.  You normally doc 10-15% for gearbox  which would make it around 97bhp.  A 5bhp increase for a pipe change is about normal.

For many more horses ,stories have it that you can just drop in a set of Daytona cams.  I suspect you'd need a Daytona map too (early 955i Daytonas use SAGEM ECMs and are the same basic program - just the fuel and timing maps are different.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Take the blanking plate out of the airbox.

It has been cleaned since!!!

CornishJimbob

wow that's quite a difference between 'before' and 'after'

does it make much difference to performance?

Chris Canning

Pipe/Tune/blanking plate out pulls a 19t sprocket the same as an 18,all the way to the redline.

Forgot!!,thats 2 up with fully loaded tankbag and topbox.

Bixxer Bob

Did you richen the map to compensate or is it running a bit lean?

I know the lambda will adjust the long term trim eventually, but it must have been lean at first?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Well that was cause of a lot of questions,i could have done the mod much earlier but had a my doubts about the above,after speaking to several was assured it wouldn't make a jot of difference(ye right),even though the people who had done it had run the bike for a time, anyway did the mod,must be 5 years ago,any doubts i had vanished when i got into a fracas with an Italalin gent south of Milan on the motorway which ended up in a 100 miles flat out run,it was fine.

CornishJimbob

Well I did the mod, I used a soldering iron to melt an outline and then pulled what was left of the baffle back out through (with a bit of brute force and determination)

Took it for a run, the first thing I noticed is the sound, slightly louder but not offensive at all, it definitely breathes better and I would say it sounds more like a Speedtriple/Daytona.

Mid range is improved, it revs quicker and easier, I'm also running a 19 tooth front sprocket, TOR tune and TOR can, standard air filter, left the rubber snorkel on the airbox.

I'm not too worried about it running weak as I don't think it will make a huge difference in the long term as I think the engine management will only handle as much air as it needs, if we were ramming air into the engine that would be a different story.  I think the baffle is there as a noise regulation more than anything else.

I recommend it and everyone should try it.  I found it easier to use an old soldering iron to cut it out rather than a Dremel, each to there own of course but there was hardly any mess with the melting procedure (does get smokey though!)

it sounds more like a 'Tiger' now !

Chris Canning

I left the snorkel on as well,i've heard of folk who have taken it off,but thats asking for trouble in my book,and it's funny you mentioned the soldering iron because when i was cleaning the mess up,i thought 'What a prat,why didn't you use one'

CornishJimbob

yeah I would say removing the snorkel could see some water going into the airbox, as the snorkel faces downwards - there's no chance of that happening.

Jim

Timbox2

Ummm, might be having a lookie at this meself soon, I did see an airbox up for grabs cheapish on ebay the other day and did wonder about having a punt on it for a spare, just in case.
2016 Tiger Sport

outrunner

I bought an airbox off Ebay, it came today. When I first saw this thread I had already decided to use a soldering iron to do the job, throwback from cutting holes in foam for models.

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

CornishJimbob

personally I wouldn't worry about having a spare airbox, there is little that can go wrong doing this modification.  The plastic baffle is sandwiched between the two halves of the airbox, it's not bonded in or anything - in fact it has some movement in it's 'slots'.

Once it's out there is no way of knowing, visually, that it isn't there and the additional noise is minimal to the point where I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back to the old style set up.

Just cut it out!  :D

Chris Canning

The original Dutch write up,mentioned splitting the box,as no one had done it in the UK(like the yellow box converter!!) and it's easy to be brave when it's been done before i bought a spare box off e-bay,cost a tenner.

Clearly splitting the box wasn't going to happen,they ping the screws and halfway out stick in the furrels,which then turn in the plastic case and your stuffed!!

CornishJimbob

hello, what's the Yellow Box Converter?

The joys of owning a new bike!  all this new stuff to try!  :roll: