News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ANAKEE vs ANAKEE 2s

Started by jphish, January 26, 2010, 04:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

Time to retread the tiger. Have the original Anakee's (previous owner only put 4K mi on in 4 years) Anyone tried the Anakee 2s ? Whats the verdict ?  Dirt / gravel roads only comprise about 10% of my riding. They claim the 2's get 30% better mileage compared to Tourances (not sure if it's the standard or EXP) Anyway - your commentary welcome. j

Timbox2

In a recent German Magazine, so no surprise that the Trail Attack won, they did rate the Annakee II for wet weather riding and also did comment on its good wear rates, but overall they gave it a 6th place, it came last in the dry conditions test, they found stability issues with it

The Order was

1) Conti Trail attack
2) Metz Tourance EXP
3) Pirelli Scorpion MT90
4) Dunlop 607 and Bridgestone BW
6) Annakee II
7) Avon Distanzia

As I said, German Mag and they do tend to be fairly patriotic, but Im not surprised the Avon came last.

Ive got the whole test as a PDF if you want a copy PM me an email address
2016 Tiger Sport

JetdocX

I hate my Trail Attacks.  I'd pull 'em off right now if someone wanted to trade for new Anakees.
From parts unknown.

jphish

JetdocX - What don't you like about them ? Inquiring minds desire data. Thanks, j

greg

I had a nasty experience with Anakees. Two up plus luggage, southern Morocco - blow out on the rear.
Removed tyre, found that the 'soft' sidewall had been rubbing against the tube till it went through.
Pressures correct, passenger wasn't a bloated porker (12 yo son), not overloaded luggage. Just a shite tyre design, immediately changed to TKC80's, no further problems for the remaining 7,000 miles of that particular trip, off and on road.
Would never use Anakees again. Currently on Tourances, no problems now or before with them, good wear rate too.
2004 Girly.

JetdocX

Quote from: "jphish"JetdocX - What don't you like about them ? Inquiring minds desire data. Thanks, j

They do surprisingly well in the dirt considering their street tread pattern when aired down, but anything loose and it's a scarier ride than either Anakees or TKC's.  No confidence in them on the wet pavement.  The front tire might be defective because I get a nice wag in the handlebars when slowing down.  Over 120 mph, the front wheel has a vibration to it that was not there before that tire was installed.

I don't like it, but I also can't seem to be able to wear them out so I can justify a tire change (being the cheap bastard that I am).
From parts unknown.

EvilBetty

I love my Distanzias!  Though I'm only 1K into them so far.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

I have the Pirelli Scorpion MT90s, over 4k on them so far.  At first I was horrified compared with the Tourances I was used to.  They felt like they were on a knife edge, dropping into turns everywhere.  But after a day or two I got used ot them, and found it was the slightly higher profile making them steer more easily.   They need much less bar effort on the turn in, and are completely neutral steering.  It goes where it's pointed instead of trying to run wide everywhere.  I really like them and had a whole summer of abusing them.  Confidence was really high, cornering hard everywhere.  In the wet,  they aren't as grippy as a full road tyre and probably start to slide slightly before a Tourance BUT once sliding, they are progressive, not all or nothing like the Tourance so it's more of a warning that a fright.  they've squared off a bit now due to high motorway mileage on the work commute but they still handle ok and there's quite a few miles in them yet...

BTW, my tyre man tells me that Pirelli and Metzler tyres come out of the same factory...
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jphish

Iv'e tried the Scorpion syncs & distanzias on my Uly. Good tires both - but scorps were pretty thin for large cobble gravel roads and got flats. The distanzias are a very capable road/rain/gravel/dirt (NOT mud) tire, but never got more than 4.5K mi to wear bars. I think I've narrowed it down to Anakee2s or Tourances - but want to read Tims German tire test link first. Thanks all. Hey! lets start an OIL discussion & make our friendly moderators groan with trepidation. TTFN,  j

jakes10mm

Replaced my front Anakee last year...cupping.  Was in the local Triumph shop yesterday to pick up oil and a filter and decided to get a Distanza on the back to match the front.  So far, I really like the Distanzas.  Seem to have plenty of grip and my unimproved surface mileage is next to nothing at the present.
06 Tiger 955i

Sin_Tiger

Just changed my 20k klms Anakee's to 2's at the weekend, so wear was pretty good, front "cupping" very badly in the last 2k, very light and flighty above 140kph.

So far mostly the same as far as ride quality goes, haven't got the skin off them yet so I was a bit cautious in the rain. If anything they seem to turn in a bit quicker than the previous ones, if that's possible, may just be due to the wear squaring the old ones off.

A word of warning to anyone tempted to put Dynabeads in through angled valves, I hope you have a whole week to spare  :roll: . Short of feeding in each grain one at a time it's not going to work. In the end I got fed up with tapping the valve for over an hour and broke the bead on one side to get them in. So far seems to be smooth and trouble free, dificult to say with these things unless you stop and take them out for comparison :shock: , Not going to happen.

Don't give me an ear bashing Mustang, I am trying.  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"A word of warning to anyone tempted to put Dynabeads in through angled valves, I hope you have a whole week to spare  :roll: . Short of feeding in each grain one at a time it's not going to work. In the end I got fed up with tapping the valve for over an hour and broke the bead on one side to get them in. So far seems to be smooth and trouble free, dificult to say with these things unless you stop and take them out for comparison :shock: , Not going to happen.

Don't give me an ear bashing Mustang, I am trying.  :wink:

you mean kinda like this .............

EvilBetty

I put the dynabeads in my Girly through the angled valves.  It wasn't too bad as long as you have 2 things.  An engraver, and a abundance of patience.  You have to let them feed in single file.  Anything more than that and it clogs.  Some times the clog would clear right away.  Other times the clog took a lot of manipulation of the feed tube and the engraver.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

HappyMan

Quote from: "greg"I had a nasty experience with Anakees. Two up plus luggage, southern Morocco - blow out on the rear.
Removed tyre, found that the 'soft' sidewall had been rubbing against the tube till it went through.
Pressures correct, passenger wasn't a bloated porker (12 yo son), not overloaded luggage. Just a shite tyre design, immediately changed to TKC80's, no further problems for the remaining 7,000 miles of that particular trip, off and on road.
Would never use Anakees again. Currently on Tourances, no problems now or before with them, good wear rate too.

You got 7000 miles out of TKC 80's???  :shock: I barely squeak out 3K.  I'm not complaining and I know I'm tough on tires but 7K?  Wow!!!!  3K and I'm seeing through it.....I mean, if you're gonna ride off road I'm gonna have fun!!!!
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Mustang"you mean kinda like this .............

It's a bit like waiting for a comet to strike, you know it's coming, you just don't appreciate how fast it's going to be  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint