News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headlight relays

Started by Geoff D, March 08, 2010, 01:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff D

Just bought relays off ebay for my 2004 Girly, just to save a bit of time looking  :roll:  who can tell me the easiest way to fit 'em.....  thanks
The older I get the faster I was...

Bixxer Bob

Furkle around under the dash next to the cowling on the left hand side below the heated grips switch and you'll find a rubber cover.  Make a careful note of how it goes on and which way round then remove it (it just pulls off).  The two empty relay sockets are under there.  If you are having trouble orientating them, use a mirror to have a quick look at the sockets first.  When they are in place, test the lights then put the rubber cover back.  Job done!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Geoff D

KuzzinKenny

Check that the lights go out when you hit the starter button, that means they`re the right ones !! if not, the battery goes flat when parked up !!  :?  no idea why, its just what i`ve heard !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Chris Canning

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Check that the lights go out when you hit the starter button, that means they`re the right ones !! if not, the battery goes flat when parked up !!  :?  no idea why, its just what i`ve heard !!

KK

Because when the twin headlamp thing was first muted a millions years ago!!,while the cost was exactly going to break the the bank,as per usual some tight arse thought they could buy cheaper,with the result the bargain version  flattened the battery :roll:

I'd take the fairing off rather than trying to break your wrist trying to fit e'm,it's only a 5 minute job in any event.

Regardless of one or two headlamps,as i read on here not so long back,for what good the Triumph headlights are,you'd be better off eating carrots :wink:

Geoff D

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Regardless of one or two headlamps,as i read on here not so long back,for what good the Triumph headlights are,you'd be better off eating carrots :wink:

Was toying with the idea of trying some better bulbs at the same time..

John Stenhouse

Carrots don't improve your night vision, it was a ruse to try to stop the germans figuring out we had radar. Aside from that I don't have a problem with the lights, you lot must ride way faster than me!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I'd take the fairing off rather than trying to break your wrist trying to fit e'm,it's only a 5 minute job in any event.

If I was doing it again now I'd probably do the same, but at the time I'd never had the Girl apart. and wasn't sure how keen Geoff'd be to get stuck in.  It's no worse than changing the bulbs on a Blackbird; doing that a couple of times'll give you the hands of a gynocologist.... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Geoff D

Its ok, I've furkled & managed, although getting the rubber back on is a bit of a bugger.... :roll: anyway am used to furkling, do it all day fittin tachographs to trucks and buses, got uj's in me wrists now  :lol:

Never heard the furkle word befors Bob  :lol:  my word of the week now

Chris Canning

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Carrots don't improve your night vision, it was a ruse to try to stop the germans figuring out we had radar. Aside from that I don't have a problem with the lights, you lot must ride way faster than me!

We go to Le-Mans every year,were we enjoy the delights of getting off the Caen/Portsmouth ferry at 9/10pm on a monday night coming home,normally freezing and often pissing down and faced with an 175 mile ride home in the pitch black,my 1100s with an HID is like broad day light,the Tiger is an utter and complete waste of time,being able to see were i'm going isn't the problem,foxs and badgers strolling across the road are,particularly at the speeds were travelling at,which brings us back to speed,so yes John i'd say your right.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Geoff D"Never heard the furkle word befors Bob  :lol:  my word of the week now

I think I first heard it used by Blaster Bates many years ago.  He was an army explosives expert turned civvi demolition expert turned funny story teller.

I have a clip somewhere where he tells how Knicker Brook got its name.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Carrots don't improve your night vision, it was a ruse to try to stop the germans figuring out we had radar. Aside from that I don't have a problem with the lights, you lot must ride way faster than me!

We go to Le-Mans every year,were we enjoy the delights of getting off the Caen/Portsmouth ferry at 9/10pm on a monday night coming home,normally freezing and often pissing down and faced with an 175 mile ride home in the pitch black,my 1100s with an HID is like broad day light,the Tiger is an utter and complete waste of time,being able to see were i'm going isn't the problem,foxs and badgers strolling across the road are,particularly at the speeds were travelling at,which brings us back to speed,so yes John i'd say your right.

Chris,  I'm trying to understand what you said; 1100s with HID?  I agree the Tiger lights are a waste of time, I've got the relays and brighter bulbs with no real improvement whereas I've got HIDs on the Blackbird and they are like daylight.  I keep wondering if HIDs are the way to go for the Tiger though as it would probably mean removing the relays to save dazzling other drivers, any thoughts?

John Stenhouse

Not really related, but HIDs are illegal for bikes
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"

Chris,  I'm trying to understand what you said; 1100s with HID?  I agree the Tiger lights are a waste of time, I've got the relays and brighter bulbs with no real improvement whereas I've got HIDs on the Blackbird and they are like daylight.  I keep wondering if HIDs are the way to go for the Tiger though as it would probably mean removing the relays to save dazzling other drivers, any thoughts?

E'r that BMW1100s,there's one very simple reason why i haven't fitted e'm,bone idle!!!,two really would be overkill,jeeze even the main beam is( i don't have one),i've cruised my S at a steady 100+ on pitch black unlit roads and it's like broad daylight.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Not really related, but HIDs are illegal for bikes

Hence why i see so many bikes with them,the fact so many new cars have them,your never going to get pulled in a million years,and if I do it'll be my small number plate,noisy can,and the 130+ i was doing at the time that they might be more interested in :wink: