News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Norway

Started by Geoff D, March 28, 2010, 11:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff D

Planning a trip to Norway this year, went a few years ago drove from Bergen to Geilo for a skiing holiday, the sceney etc was breathtaking, best I've seen anywhere.... so been promising to go back on two wheels ever since.
Anybody been, what's the best month weatherwise to go?
Probably sail to Bergen from Newcastle again & do the obligitory North cape thing.

Anyone else fancy it???
The older I get the faster I was...

ArcticTiger

I would say july and august is the best for going north. Take the "coastal route" all the way up to Bodø. It takes some more time and ferrys, but its definately worth it.
Your welcome to stop by at our place in Narvik for a beer/coffe and maybe stay overnight!
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

Geoff D

will have 10-14 days, guess thats plenty of time ??

Might just take you up on that AT  :)

ArcticTiger

10 to 14 days will make it a pleasant trip, with short driving distances each day, and  time to take some byways and stops to relax.
If driving for transportation only, you should be able to do it in 5-6 days up and down, but would be a busy trip.
Much of the roads in Norway are purrfect Tiger paths, so its good to have some extra time  when your out traveling. :D
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

harre

Norway is stunning, with roads that are made for Tigers, exotic gravel sections if you go off the main path and scenic curvy roads along fjords and canyons. I would vote for mid July, but always prepare for rain. Try to avoid the E6 road, since it is heavily used and narrow. I agree with AT that the coastal roads are better, but the schedule may be a bit too tight for going along the coast all the way. I would vote for a detour to Lom and then  Geiranger (including Dalsnibba peak) followed by Trollstigen. After that, camp in Meringdal by Eikesvatnet lake, continue to the short gravel road Ausjøvegen. From Bergen try to include a trip through the Laerdal area and the valley with the Borgund stave church. I have GPS coordinates for good campsites and interesting places. There are many things to see along the road, one favourite is the marble formations "marmorslottet" north of Mo i Rana. Then of course the Lofoten islands, and... , I could go on forever. Send PM for my phone number. We may be able to help if there are problems along the way (or maybe ride with you).

Geoff D

Thanks guys, will be in touch with you both. Will get a new Norway map this weekend & start planning my route....

Expect lots of questions... :lol:  :roll:

Geoff D

Quote from: "ArcticTiger"Your welcome to stop by at our place in Narvik for a beer/coffe and maybe stay overnight!

You're on  :thumbsup  :occasion14

Rocinante

I´m across on the south-east side of the country, so I would not take the detour if I were you, otherwise there´s a bed for you here too.

There´s some good advice here already, I´ll just ad a couple of thoughts.

If you go inland towards or to Lom, then a trip into Norways most beautiful mountains, the national park Jotunheimen, is a must. If you have the time and the physics, go to Spiterstulen tourist cabin not far from Lom, stay two nights and walk the 1350 m ascend to Galdhøpiggen, Norways highest peak, a 6-10 hour round trip.

I go alone every summer on the bike to this area and combine gravel riding and hiking, a fabulous way to travel.

There are less exhausting ways to get up there like staying at Juvasshytta and  hike aross the glacier in a group.  The ascend is about 500 meters I think. You don´t have to book in advance.

OK, I realize I´m off mc topic here... Back on.

If you don´t want to hike but would like breath taking scenery and easy roads, take the same detour to Juvasshytta. Then you´ll ride Norways highest road at around 1850 meters, which feels like a high Andean plateau on that latitude.

There are plenty of other peaks to visit by bike as well, but Dalsnibba and Juvasshytta are two of the easiest accessible. Dalsnibba is a peak with a great view, Juvasshytta is just high up with a stunning ascend.

If you want to spend time along the many nice small towns and roads along the coast you could speed back down from North Cape through the Swedish woods. I´ve never done it but the roads are fast and straight I´m told.

Another plan would be to drop the North Cape and go to Lofoten islands and explore there. Lofoten is another must along the route. I´m sure ArcticTiger knows some nice places there. I have never been to the North Cape on a bike(but have been to Ushuaia Argentina...:)) and always advice people to spend more time along the road than just speed up there. It´s horrific expensive to visit the plateau, and from what I´ve heard it feels slightly like a Donald Duck cartoon I saw as a child where Donald had fought his way as a climber up some impossible steep mountains to arrive at a amusement park at the top. Not that the road up there is difficult but you get the picture...

The coastal ferry Hurtigruten is another option to change the scenery and save some time. I went to Lofoton a few years ago and we jumped on the ferry, which goes from Bergen to the far north and back and stops a lot of places along the route, in the evening and woke up in the morning with lots of km behind us. The scenery from the ship on a nice midnight sun evening is unique.

Are you searching for gravel by the way or travelling on tarmac only?

Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Geoff D

Thanks for all the good tips & advice, unfortunately won't be able to make it this year now 'cos of my shoulder problem but got lots of time to plan now. Just had 4 new regional maps (Kummerly & Frey) delivered by Amazon they show lots of gravel tracks & trails, are they all legal to ride in Norway?
I know what you mean about Nordkapp Dag, I've heard it before, I guess I just think I have to do it because I'm there, if you know what I mean. But nothing is cast in stone, thats the beauty of travelling alone, no pressures & you can please yourself.
Will definitely be looking for some nice gravel tracks..

ArcticTiger

Hello Geoff, hows your shoulder doing?
Do you have Norway on your tour-list for next summer (2011)?
If so, then I will inform you that there might be a Triumph Tiger Club Scandinavia summer meet in august 2011 in my area. Some of the members from the southern part of Norway and Sweden are thinking of driving north as a group, doing the coastal route. All other Tiger owners sure will be welcomed to join too :D . The planning is by now in  a very early stage, but might be....
-00 Yamaha TT600R

Geoff D

Hi AT.... shoulder not too bad..... was with the surgeon last week he told me I'm too impatient  :roll:  he said 9 months before I get full use again.
Anyway had 3 rides out on my Tenere & 1 on Tiger... can just about manage 100 miles before it starts to hurt..

I can't make my mind up between Norway & the desert next year, I would really like to ride to Timbuktu before I get much older & would also like to do Norway, they are both gonna be long trips & don't think I'd get away with doing both (wifey wouldn't like it).

Doing Norway with the Scandinavia guys sounds good though.... that could help make my mind up  :thumbsup

blacktiger

click the photo to start the slideshow.
I was riding the Triumph Scrambler which is better than it looks at off road.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Nick Calne

I really wanna ride in Norway, but it won't be this year.  Blacktiger - great photo's.  Thanks for sharing.  Geoff please take your camera with you too!  Have fun.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Spud

there seems to be a theme here I would love to do Norway, seen the coast by sea (RN) done some walking there and some xcountry skiing but never ridden. UK Tiger group ride ? :roll:  cheers Spud

ArcticTiger

Heres a video from the Norway west coast road "Trollstigen" (the Trolls path) It will for sure be a good Tiger-path as well!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4NVdUgSbWQ&feature=player_embedded
-00 Yamaha TT600R