News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine swap?

Started by rf9rider, April 15, 2010, 05:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

wonder how close to the tank outlet whatever gets in the way is... ?  maybe a pingel tap would work as they have a choice of outlet positions... ?  or just go for a handmade ally tank!  :D

Bixxer Bob

Can you post up a pic of how the tap mounts?  I've never had a steamer but I'm thinking it's like my old 900 Trident.  Or I could pop over one evening....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

Quote from: "NeilD"wonder how close to the tank outlet whatever gets in the way is... ?  maybe a pingel tap would work as they have a choice of outlet positions... ?  or just go for a handmade ally tank!  :D

If you look at the left hand  side of motor, then imagine another carb added onto the end, theres no room whatsoever, the 1200 motor is near enough the same as the 900, only wider.

I have a new Pingel tap i bought, but keeping that to use on the next rebuild, my original doesn`t leak if you leave it in the on position.

rf9rider

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Can you post up a pic of how the tap mounts?  I've never had a steamer but I'm thinking it's like my old 900 Trident.  Or I could pop over one evening....

Cheers Bob, i`ll get some pics tomorrow, my day off! (bet it rains)

rf9rider

It rained!  :lol:

After more measuring, seems the 1200 motor swap is a no go, the 1200 motors outer carbs will foul the bottom of the tank both sides, plus the problem of the fuel tap.
Only solution would be to use a different tank, which defeats the object as i want to keep the original looks.

rybes

did you give up on this idea RF ? as im thinkin of givin it a go one day. there was that one on ebay so it can be done, somehow  :?

damn, jus spent an  hour on here lookin for the ebay link i posted up for it but cant find it. :(
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

Haven`t completely dismissed it, still got to try and find out how it was done.
I did ask the owner of that one on Ebay a few questions, but never got a reply.
MIght have to speak to Sandy at Triumphant or perhaps someone at Jack Lilly might be able to help.

rybes

ive been thinkin about this a lot just recently and apart from the petrol tap problem, wich i think i got an idea for ;) the only thing that bothers me is the cdi unit. will it plug in and work of the standard loom ? been lookin at prices for complete bikes too. they dont seem to bad and i reckon itd be easier than sourcin all the bits seperatly. you could always fit the 900 from the tiger in it and sell it back on as a complete bike.
did you ever get in touch with jack lilly RF ? was thinkin of sendin them an email but didnt in case you had already done it. if not, ill get on it later today
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

After looking again, i reckon the actual Tiger tank may be in the way.
With the extra width of the 4 carbs on the 1200 motor, looks like both end carbs will foul the actual tank?

And i still haven`t got around to speaking to Lillys.

I`m off work all next week, so i`m going to start doing a few jobs to get the new rebuild underway, so might have a proper measure up and see whats what.

PM me your idea, would like to know more!

rf9rider

After looking at the Steamer again, i have a cunning plan!
I`ll try it over the weekend and let you know  :D