News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bike dying on throttle

Started by cpf885, May 01, 2010, 12:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpf885

Hi everyone,
                  I've got a 95 model Tiger that I've had for about 10 years. It's only got 27k on the clock so as you can guess, I don't ride it enough.  I've now got a problem with the engine dying as soon as I give the throttle a twist.   It starts first press from cold (with choke) & will rev up & down by adjusting the choke lever.  But as soon as I give it the slightest bit for gas it trys to cut out (but recovers if the twistgrip's closed quick enough)  When it's warmed up I can close the choke & it ticks over OK but again stalls if I gas it.  I've even tried opening the throttle as slow as I possibly can but it just dies.
Any ideas please guys???

Mustang

assuming there are no changes to the air box and the rubber cap is covering the right hand snorkel ( it needs to be there BTW) it sounds like a classic case of plugged pilot jets and gunk in the carbs .

It is a common problem when the bike sits for extended periods of time without use ...................

you need to clean the carbs and clean or replace the air filter while you have the carbs out

this thread here will help you clean them up

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,52526#52526

cpf885

Thanks for the reply.  Interested in your comment about cleaning the air filter.  I always thought it was a case of changing the whole airbox.  Is there an easier (cheaper) way??

Mustang

Quote from: "cpf885"Thanks for the reply.  Interested in your comment about cleaning the air filter.  I always thought it was a case of changing the whole airbox.  Is there an easier (cheaper) way??

again assuming that your air box is in good shape ................you can unscrew all the screws and seperate the two half's remove the foam element inside and clean it in soapy water and then thoroughly dry it .............when you reassemble lay a good thick bead of silicone sealer down for the element to bed in which will keep dust and dirt particles from getting past .

And if your air box is typical it will be cracked and busted as the plastic shrinks with age so you will need to buy a new one from triumph anyway....................

cpf885

Thanks again for the help so far.  I've read through a couple of the carb problem threads & most people's probems seem to come from the pilot jets.  If it's "just" that,  would I need a new set of gaskets & O-rings?
TIA

rf9rider

Quote from: "cpf885"Thanks again for the help so far.  I've read through a couple of the carb problem threads & most people's probems seem to come from the pilot jets.  If it's "just" that,  would I need a new set of gaskets & O-rings?
TIA

I just rebuilt my carbs, i used the old o rings and gaskets without any problem.

Flatch69

This is my first post. I am not sure If I should ask my question in this thread or sart another. But he goes.

I have a similar problem but my steamer (1984), that I am finally getting ready for the road after 6 years in storage, will rev to 5K on 20% throttle but as soon as I open it up anymore than that it starts to die until I back off the throttle.

Could this be related to gunk in the pilot jets?

In response to your question about O rings and seals. I found I had to replace my float bowl seals as they had expanded. When I removed the float bowls the seals no longer fitted in teh groove and the bowls leaked.

cpf885

Got started on this with the aid of Mustang's thread on stripping the carbs. TBH, that isn't the hard bit.     The hardest bits I'm finding are getting the carbs out & back in again.  These things must be built by super intelligent space monkeys with ten inch long steel fingers.  Now if the airbox could have been half an inch shorter.  But no, that would be too easy!!!  How do they possibly do this in a mass production factory setting???  Space monkeys I tell you.    I've now got the carbs & airbox back in the frame but haven't yet managed to connect them together.       Going to have to wait a couple of days now for some new clips.  Managed to shear the thread on the old ones & can't get any narrrow ones locally so have ordered some off of t'internet! Anyway, It's now beer time. Will let you all know how it goes................Probably horribly!!

cpf885

She lives.   She breathes.   She Grrrrrrowls.  And she doesn't leak.  Whoo Hoo!!.  Thanks for all your help lads.

coachgeo

COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)