News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chains

Started by Bob Tosi, May 26, 2010, 06:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

I was checking my chain out and wanted to take it off to clean it.  I looked for the master link and couldnt find it on either side.  98 Steamer.  What the heck is going on here?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

JetdocX

Probably the original chain.  Is it toast?  Why bother if it's not?  Careful, Bob, you might just anger the Steamer gods, then it's unscheduled after unscheduled maintenance event ad naseum.  Fix what's broke.  Let the rest roll.
From parts unknown.

Timbox2

Master link? Your kidding aint yer. Be  glad it doesnt have one, I'd be bricking it If my Tiger had a split link chain,

Why do you need to take it off? If its really bad you probably need a new chain
2016 Tiger Sport

Bob Tosi

The chains is looking dirty so I wanted to clean it and re-lube it.  All my other bikes have had master links so the chain could be removed.

How does one get the chain of when its time to clean it, replace it or change the sprockets?

Dumb new Tiger guy question, Sorry to all you Tiger Jedi's.

Mustang

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"The chains is looking dirty so I wanted to clean it and re-lube it.  All my other bikes have had master links so the chain could be removed.

How does one get the chain of when its time to clean it, replace it or change the sprockets?

Dumb new Tiger guy question, Sorry to all you Tiger Jedi's.
if all you want to do is clean it ..jack the back wheel up , centerstand if you have one , otherwise a couple of jackstands under the foot peg brackets works

use a rag with some kerosene on it  wd 40 works good for cleaning too
hold it in your hand and make a fist around the chain
spin the rear wheel by HAND and clean the crud of the chain

there is no need to lube the chain other than with spray on lube like pj1 or chain wax
the chain is an oring chain and the rollers are lubed internally and sealed with the orings

if you want to change the chain you need a chain breaker to cut the chain or a dremel tool
and a new oring chain will come with a master link that needs to be riveted on , again you will need a special tool

Motion Pro makes about the best I have seen
this ones pretty good  about 95 bucks

this ones better  $135 bucks

Bob Tosi

QuoteMotion Pro makes about the best I have seen
this ones pretty good about 95 bucks

this ones better $135 bucks

The wifes going to love that, new bike and I start spending money! :lol:

Bob Tosi

What about those brush roller deals that have the cleaning solutions in a little tank?

Mustang

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"What about those brush roller deals that have the cleaning solutions in a little tank?
they won't work as well as good ol rag and kerosene ..which doesn't cost any money and you must have a can of wd 40 already on hand

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"What about those brush roller deals that have the cleaning solutions in a little tank?

Thought the boss was gonna have a view on spending money?? :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: "Mustang"
they won't work as well as good ol rag and kerosene ..which doesn't cost any money and you must have a can of wd 40 already on hand

Ive often wondered what kerosene actually is, would it be what we over this  side call paraffin?
2016 Tiger Sport

JetdocX

No, kerosene is just a close relative to jet fuel.  Think cleaner diesel.

Bob, I have the Motion Pro chain tool if you want to borrow it.
From parts unknown.

Nick Calne

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"The wifes going to love that, new bike and I start spending money! :lol:

It's a steamer, start preparing your excuses now!  :shock:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

iansoady

Quote from: "JetdocX"No, kerosene is just a close relative to jet fuel.  Think cleaner diesel.

Actually I think it is paraffin. Wikipedia agrees with me (although that may not be a recommendation.....): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene_lamp
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bob Tosi

probably being overly worried about this , just trying to get on the safe side of maintenance here.........

jonathan jaecks

D.I.D. also makes a very good 530 chain tool...also in the $100 range.