News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another newbie needing your collective wisdom

Started by crustycrutch, July 13, 2010, 07:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crustycrutch

Hi all, I'm picking up a Caspian Blue 1993 Steamer next weekend with 43K miles on the clock. It starts and runs well and is relatively clean for its age. I've been lurking through these boards for a few days to get a feel for some of the issues.
The bike has been modified to take Trophy wheels (i think) front & rear and it has an almost new Hagon shock fitted. I'm not sure of the quality of the mods but I'll post some pics over the weekend. It has a load of paperwork which I need to sort through to get an idea of the history. Once again I'll post with details later.
My intention is to put together an 'adventure' style bike which I can take around UK and Europe camping. I already own a 2009 ST1300 for high speed, distance work. I'm not too bothered about looks - although I like the general appearance of the Tiger. I want a steady, strong machine that'll carry a heap of kit over slightly rough ground. I have access to a pretty decent workshop, tools and the assistance of a capable welder/fabricator.
My first question (of many no doubt) is this - is it worth pulling the engine and refurbishing it while I've got the chance? And if so, what do you guys recommend I focus on? Thanks in advance :P

Mustang

43 k there is nothing to refurbish leave it be .............

Sin_Tiger

+1 if it runs nice leave it, ride it and get a feel for it first.

You picked the right tool for the job  :D and it's another Caspian one  :hello2  welcome here, you also found the right place for sharing and Mustang is Mr. Steamer  :notworthy  3 out of 3 , your on a roll  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

Ride it until it stops.  You'll get your chance to take it apart like everyone else here. :lol:
From parts unknown.

crustycrutch

Many thanks for the welcome and sage advice gentlemen. I'm looking forward to getting the bike and starting the adventure!

I shall post pics at the weekend and inundate the list with questions  :P