News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tranny rattle? questions, observations.

Started by Gungho1989, July 17, 2010, 03:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gungho1989

Ok I have read a few of the DAR threads and don't think this is what I am having. But never say never.

At idle the bike sounds pretty decent. Once I take off though I start getting all kinds of lower end racket.

On acceleration its very apparent. Its intermittent at cruise but sounds like someone shaking a can of rocks and can be felt in the pegs and seat.
Earlier today I tightened the Front sprocket, its was definitely loose. That sound went away but I think it was muffling this sound.

Is it possible the clutch basket is loose? Do I have something busted in the tranny?

This weekend I'm busting into check for DAR just to eliminate it if its ok and fix it if it is that.

I believe I will be needing a new front sprocket soon but didn't feel this one was wasted yet. The sides appeared to rubber coated as well??

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

Mustang

that sprockets wasted ....and how tight was the nut ? I have seen them only be finger tight when they come off and thats where a lot of rattle comes from
the rubber sides just mean its OEM

Motorcycle superstore has steel JT fronts for 22 bucks
you need to order for a trophy though as they list nothing for tiger even though they are the same sprocket

and BTW if you are doing sprockets you really need to replace the chain too
makes a huge difference in drivetrain noise .I got stuff coming for the side car next week cuz I been nursing a worn chain and sprockets along all summer . you won't believe how much rattle there is in the drive chain till you replace with new  :shock:

rf9rider

I read through your other post, looking at one of the pictures, is the chain rub block fitted?
Couldn`t see it?
Might be the chain rubbing on the frame making the noise?

NeilD

thats what I was wondering - mine had lost the rubber bit so the chain was running over the bare bracket, which made a nasty noise..  :shock:

Gungho1989

I will have to double check. Its possible that there is one missing that I didn't catch.

I'm going to forgoe the DAR check for now. Last night I ordered chain breaker kit, sprockets and new DID chain. Tapped out my bike budget this month.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

NeilD

have a look through this thread..
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=#44724

as there's some pics of the rubbing block...

Gungho1989

NeilD thanks a million, Now I just need to get home and see if I even have one on the bottom.  :shock:  Might have been what I heard go bang under the back end then clatter down the road a couple of weeks ago!?  :shock:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ