News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Time to replace the chain?

Started by Bob Tosi, August 09, 2010, 07:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

Well I was cleaning her up this am and found some problems with the chain.  And some rub marks on the swing arm.

What the rear sprocket looks like

The slack while on the center stand

the right side adjuster

My concerns are that I just adjusted the chain about a month ago,  there's a tight section in the chain as I rotate the wheel completely around,  the adjuster is almost to the last alignment mark.........

So if I have given enough info throw some suggestions to me.. My other concern is i dont know how many miles on this chain.  I havent found the log of the chain replacement in the PO's log he gave me.

Time for a new chain and sprocket set?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

iansoady

If you have a tight spot and you're having to adjust more than once every 2,000 miles or so it needs a new c&s IMO.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

NeilD

and your chain rub thing is missing from the top of the swingarm..??

Mustang

from this thread
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/postin ... te&p=58447

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "HappyMan"I'm not sure what they mean by inspect and measure 20 links.  Perhaps someone else can decipher that one.
because the links grow in length as the pin rollers wear which changes the pitch of the chain length
example if the chain is 5/8 inch between roller centers (pitch of each link) , which is what tigers are BTW.

.625 (5/8ths) x 20(# of links ) = 12.5 inches
so if you measure the chain you should have 12.5 inches for every 20 links
measure it in a couple of different spots as chains usually wear uneven
**NOTE a chain that has worn only .010 of an inch on each link pin will have grown by 1 1/8  inch in length over the entire length of the chain **
anything other than 12.5 inches in 20 links is showing a worn chain and new sprockets should be used with a new chain as the old chain has worn the sprockets down to match whatever the links grew by

rf9rider

As Neil said, your rubbing strip is missing.

And is the rubbing block fitted underneath?

Bob Tosi

The rub strip on the top of the swing arm is there and the block on the bottom is a homemade one that is also there and in good shape I believe.  I'll have to get some measurements on the chain and go over the PO's log again to see when the chain was replaced last.

If I end up replacing the chain , should new rub blocks be installed top and bottom also?  So everything is new at the same time?

Mustang

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"If I end up replacing the chain , should new rub blocks be installed top and bottom also?  So everything is new at the same time?
sometimes I do sometimes I don't depends what they look like

if the bottom rub block is worn into more than a 1/2 inch deep it's a no brainer to replace it for less than 20 bucks
and if those are fresh marks on the swingarm then you need a new rub strip
about 40 bucks or less

Bob Tosi

Marks are fresh.  Looks like I need to start getting parts coming.  Where do you guys get oil filters?  What about the rubs block?

Sprockets: 18 front?, 48 rear?

Mustang

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"Marks are fresh.  Looks like I need to start getting parts coming.  Where do you guys get oil filters?  What about the rubs block?

Sprockets: 18 front?, 48 rear?
Oil filters can be gotten at walmart or VIP auto stores they are FRAM
Ebay is another good source to get oil filters , you can usually get 3 for 15 bucks off ebay

I get the rear sprocket from Dennis Kirk online for 56 bucks it's a steel JT
The front sprocket I get from Motorcycle superstore  it's a JT as well (they don't list them for tigers , you have to order one for a Trophy ,( same thing )
I usually get my chains from Motorcycle superstore also , I use an EK o-ring chain with gold side plates less than a 100 bucks

rub strip and rub blocks are dealer only .or bike bandit .

chain and sprocket job will cost you

rear sprocket .48 tooth................$56
Front sprocket .18 tooth...............$23
EK SRO oring chain 114 link black $85
new rub strip ..............................$26
rub block.....................................$19
4 qts of oil (mobil 1 4T) ................$38
new filter ....................................$5 or so

total............................................$252

$350 or so if you need to buy a tool
If you take it to a dealer for this job it will be in the 500 dollar range for parts and labor

and if you don't have a rivet tool for the master link you need to buy one of them too Motion Pro about a 100 bucks is the good one to have

Bob Tosi

Is the filter interchangeable with a car?

The rub blocks must come from a dealer,?

Thanks Mustang

Mustang

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"Is the filter interchangeable with a car?
No they are motorcycle specific  FRAM 6012 fits the steamers

QuoteThe rub blocks must come from a dealer,?

Thanks Mustang
well seeing as you have homemade ones on there you are either going to have to make your own or go back to OEM , OEM's are only available at the dealer or bike bandit

Bob Tosi

The top one is OEM I believe and the bottom one was made by the previous owner.

Is this the chain tool:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0135/

or this one:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0467/

Mustang

either one will work although the 75 dollar one has some weak components that WILL break  easily

like everything ..you get what you pay for

BR

Hey Bob...
Previous Owner here checking in (hadn't been here in a while).
The chain and sprockets were replaced by the owner before me...(orig owner) at approx. the 15K mile mark (check pile of reciepts).  All I ever did with it was the occasional lube and adjust (rarely needed).  That means the chain is currently at ~18-19K miles.

I did replace the swing-arm rubber strip one time but it appears to be removed in your first picture.  The slight wear on the swing-arm was already there and is minor.  And yes, the bottom chain rubbing block is my own creation but I also gave you an OEM unit that is easily installed.
Hope the bike is treating you well,
Regards,
Brendan