News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to me 2001 Tiger 955i - Need Advice

Started by Putts255, September 15, 2010, 03:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Putts255

So Gents,

I just picked up this wonderful Black Beauty last week and need some advise on what I really need to do before she goes to bed this winter.  Lets face it, where I live I may get another couple weeks in and that is it.  

She only has 4,300 kilometers or 2,700 miles.  She does run real nice and for the most part I do not see any real areas of neglect except 2 obvious ones.  

1) Chain is filthy and a little loose, no brainer I will do it this weekend.
2) Coolant reservoir has brownish stains in it.  Coolant itself does not look too bad.  This is more of a concern as I am waiting for my service manual to arrive.  I am worried about the amount of work this will take and what else I should do if I start down this path?

Any other items I need to look at that I should really do sooner than later???

Thanks much!

Paul
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Mustang

the chain needs to have at least 40mm free play due to the suspension travel.

The brown stains are nothing to worry about , just flush out the old coolant and replace with fresh .

2700 miles isn't even broken in yet for these bikes .

You have many miles before any service is reqd

brad21

I'm with Putts, just picked up a black '01 today, any advice is welcome. I have about a month of riding left though... :lol:
\'00 XRR
\'07 200 XCW
\'01 TIGER

TigerTrax

Go to ebay and buy a SERVICE  MANUAL for your Tiger. Someone is selling 'replica manuals for about $20 -$30 ..... they are very good.

If you do not have an OWNERS manual.... find one.

Go to our 'Girly tech' thread on this site. There is plenty of info WITH pics that can help you alot. Print them out and place in your service manual.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Putts255

Got my service manual from E-Bay.  Just like TigerTrax says it is a copy but a real nice copy with a color wiring diagram in the back.  For the price you cannot go wrong.  

I have already started to print out what I will need to do with the bike from this forum.  Got the wiring bypass already printed and in the manual.  Will do that after the riding season is done.  

Have to get the coolant flushed for sure.  Pulled out my coolant tester (little plastic thingee with the bulb pump) and pulled some of the orange liquid from the holding tank.  Wowza what a mess.  So that is number one this weekend for me.  

Second is a small oil leak from the neutral position switch.  I may order a new switch and replace it during the off season.  

Changed the oil last weekend.  Was not too bad but the previous owner gave me a 1 liter bottle of Motul and it was not synthetic.  So now I have Amsoil full synthetic in there.  Even if the oil in the cooler was not there is more synthetic than not....

I am having a lot of fun riding and learning all about this bike.....
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

_____

KuzzinKenny

Hey brad21 and Putts255 !! Welcome to TT.com  :occasion14

this will come in handy......

http://www.triumph.co.uk/media/enTiger9 ... nwards.pdf

if yer do'in the coolant change, get a new rad cap, they tend to fail after a while and its easier to fit it when you've planed the job, than at the side of the road  :shock:  do a search for coolant threads as its a PITA to bleed the air out of the system !!

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Putts255

Thanks Kuz, one of the first things I printed the night before I picked up the bike was the maintenance schedule you have lead us to.   I have 3 copies printed one in the service manual, another in the new folder I created for the bike in my desk and the other is on the wall of my garage.  Can never be too safe.

As far as coolant flush goes it is number one on my list this weekend.  I will be going with the standard Prestone Long life pre-mix.  Will also try and find some of that water wetter stuff, not sure where to get it here in Edmonton, but it is suppose to be a real nice day here tomorrow so an extended search while riding the bike is no problem.... ;)

_____

brad21

Thanks guys, just did my first oil change on her yesterday.

Some areas of concern for me:

1) seems to be in need of an ecu re-flash, got some stuttering going on, seems to be a bit rich

2) had a small oil leak which I may have solved. had a bunch of crap behind the c/s cover, cleaned, no leak today

3) need a bash plate

4) better headlight bulbs?

I know this is all on here somewhere but if you have any direct links that would be awesome! Loving the kittty!
\'00 XRR
\'07 200 XCW
\'01 TIGER

D-Fuzz

Quote from: "Putts255"So Gents,

I just picked up this wonderful Black Beauty last week and need some advise on what I really need to do before she goes to bed this winter.  Lets face it, where I live I may get another couple weeks in and that is it.  

She only has 4,300 kilometers or 2,700 miles.  She does run real nice and for the most part I do not see any real areas of neglect except 2 obvious ones.  

1) Chain is filthy and a little loose, no brainer I will do it this weekend.
2) Coolant reservoir has brownish stains in it.  Coolant itself does not look too bad.  This is more of a concern as I am waiting for my service manual to arrive.  I am worried about the amount of work this will take and what else I should do if I start down this path?

Any other items I need to look at that I should really do sooner than later???

Thanks much!

Paul

I was a day late trying to buy this bike.  I saw the ad but you had beat me to it.  Great buy!
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Putts255

Sorry D-Fuzz, but I was on the prowl for a nice used bike, pardon the punn.

I wanted a Varadero but now that I got the Tiger I am real glad I did.

Coolant changed last week.  Real ugly goo but after a week of running it with fresh coolant it is already getting a little murky.  So I will likely re-flush in the spring after the first few rides.

_____

D-Fuzz

I kicked around buying a Varadero as well, but I am cheap when it comes to bikes.  I have a problem paying $10,000+ for a bike I can only ride 6 months a year.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Putts255

Agree it is difficult to part with that kind of money as well.  But it was going to be the last bike I buy for a long long time and was prepared to pay for it.

They still have 2 or 3 brand new 2008's they are letting go for a very good price....  

So far no regrets on the Tiger yet, the power it has is amazing considering it is a 3 cylinder.  Only 2 or 3 major wish items for me:

1) Need to figure out a cure for the windshield.  My brain feels like mush after a couple hours of riding because it is getting bopped around constantly.

2) Crash bars, think I am going to go with the Fehling ones out of Germany.  But need to save all my pennies until then.  Putting the beast away tomorrow for hibernation so I have several months... sniff sniff.... :cry:

3) Bought a Airhawk2 seat and just got it today, that should solve the numb bum situation.

How about you are you liking the bike you bought in the States?

_____

D-Fuzz

I used an Airhawk previously and for the money, they work great.

I am loving my Steamer.  There aren't many of them around these parts, so I had to go shopping south of the border.  I had bought a couple British cars from the States before, so I knew what to expect at the border.  The bike had a few little maintenance issues that needed attention, mainly due to it not being used.  Those things are all sorted out and the bike is 100% now.  I am hoping for one last ride Monday, then it is time for hibernation too.

I have family up in Edmonton, so maybe next spring/summer we'll have to meet up and swap Tiger stories.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Putts255

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I have family up in Edmonton, so maybe next spring/summer we'll have to meet up and swap Tiger stories.

Sure sounds like a plan.

If you make it up send me a PM I will make sure and cut some time out for ya!!!

Have good ride, no jealousy here, we are expecting snow on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Yuk!!!

_____