News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

cutting out

Started by battybutler, October 12, 2010, 08:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battybutler

hi everyone,can any body give me any help on my 96 reg tiger.the bike does 3 miles and then cuts out,leave for 10 to 15 min.will start up again,again after a few min cut out again any glues?

JetdocX

It's your ignition trigger/pickup.  Replacing it is a ten minute job.
From parts unknown.

battybutler

thanks for that this may be a dump question but where does it fit

JetdocX

Left hand side of the engine lower round cover.  The ignition pickup/trigger is the black thing with the wiring attached to it.  The clearance between the pickup and the trigger fingers is critical.  I forget what the distance is supposed to be, but it will take feeler gages to get it right.

From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Left hand side of the engine lower round cover.  The ignition pickup/trigger is the black thing with the wiring attached to it.  The clearance between the pickup and the trigger fingers is critical.  I forget what the distance is supposed to be, but it will take feeler gages to get it right.

a match book cover works too to set the gap,
but .025 is the distance you want
and it's under a righthand side cpver BTW :wink:

battybutler

thank you very much for your time and help, touch wood the old girl will get back to good health, many thanks again.

JetdocX

Yes, right side like Mustang said.  Sorry.   :oops:
From parts unknown.

Papalobster

Must be the season. I just hit 10k miles of Tiger ownership and was feeling vindicated for getting rid of my problematic BMW. On the way home yesterday, I was making a slight detour to get a photo tag and the Tiger died. Like no electrical power, let er sit for 10 or so minutes, fire up, run 15-20 seconds and die again.

I'm guessing it's the same thing?

I checked Bike Bandit and it says $74.71 for the part. That sound about right? Mines a 98.

Mustang

Quote from: "Papalobster"Must be the season. I just hit 10k miles of Tiger ownership and was feeling vindicated for getting rid of my problematic BMW. On the way home yesterday, I was making a slight detour to get a photo tag and the Tiger died. Like no electrical power, let er sit for 10 or so minutes, fire up, run 15-20 seconds and die again.

I'm guessing it's the same thing?

I checked Bike Bandit and it says $74.71 for the part. That sound about right? Mines a 98.
sure sounds like ignitor pickup failure  and the price is about right they used to be only 60 bucks , but that was quite a few years ago .

It should run a little longer with an ice cold motor ..but as things heat up the failure becomes more frequent

when it dies if your tach drops off to zero while coasting down the road in gear with dead engine you have an ignitor pick up failure .

But from your symptoms I think your diagnosis is spot on .

Papalobster

My tachs at zero all the time :cry: It's either the CDI or the tach (according to the manual) and the tach is new.

Mustang

maybe you will get lucky and have a working tach.......... after you replace the ignitor pickup sensor .  it is possible but not likely

battybutler

put new senser on,touch wood everything is running fine,if anythink it seems to have better throttle response and starts better,so many thanks to everyone for their advise