News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shocking success with tank stretch

Started by 97tiger885, October 21, 2010, 12:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

My shock has returned from Idaho and been successfully reinstalled.  I had two problems.  I rounded off the upper mount nut and had to replace it.  And I had one part left over, a washer.  Thanks for the help.  

I always have a slight struggle getting the gas tank back on.  This time the tank sat off the mc 3/4 full for about 3 weeks.  It was not going back on.   I resorted to the strap system.  I put the front bolt/rubber on first.  I then loosened the tank bridge and shifted it back.  I put the tank on and moved the bridge where it allowed easy installation of the rear two bolts.  Now I needed to  move the bridge forward to line up the holes where the bridge mounts to the frame.   I hooked my strap to my Thunderbike engine guards and ran that strap around and under the rear extension of the metal bridge.  I then tightened the strap, moving the bridge forward to allow installation of the bolts of the bridge.  That took a bit of fiddling.  I used a pry bar on the right side as there are no wires running there.  Eventually I got it.  

Thanks to whoever posted the pictures of the strap system.  I can't find that post to give proper credit, but I remembered enough of it to manage.  One thing I don't remember is whether he pulled the bridge mount forward or simply pulled the tank forward to let the rear bolts align with the bridge holes.   I found moving the entire bridge easier because I could see the holes that needed to be aligned.  I suspect the method I used is a little harder on the threads of the bolt and the welded nuts that secure the bridge to the frame but that is something easily dealt with if damaged.  As for damage to the tank where the rear bolts secure the tank to the bridge, I will find that out the next time I remove the tank.  My fingers are crossed.