News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

chain and sprocket question

Started by kelpie_67, November 22, 2010, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwray76

changing the engine sprocket doesn't give you as many gearing options as changing the rear sprocket. I went two up in the rear and it is a good all around set up.

Danny955i

The other issue with changing the front sprocket is that you need a 1 1/16" wrench (22mm? 21mm?) to get the dag-nabbit bolt off.

I was lucky enough to borrow one, but if you have to go out and buy that socket it'll run you about half the price of a front sprocket.

Best to drop the back wheel.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Danny955i"The other issue with changing the front sprocket is that you need a 1 1/16" wrench (22mm? 21mm?) to get the dag-nabbit bolt off.

I was lucky enough to borrow one, but if you have to go out and buy that socket it'll run you about half the price of a front sprocket.

Best to drop the back wheel.

I would rarely change one without the other, but I have to say that I find changing the front a far quicker operation, 10/15 mins tops,quite often its only the tab washer holding the nut on, they seem to go loose regularly, the socket is a 36mm by the way, and if youve ever been a Ducatiest you may well have one.
2016 Tiger Sport

Danny955i

I knew it was huge... Lol... I used an american sized socket, so I never had the metric one.

I do agree on changing both if they need it... If you're just goofing with sprocket sizes though, one is OK.

Normally rear sprocket lasts 15,000-30,000 miles, front sprocket lasts 10,000 to 20,000 miles... chain lasts about 20,000 miles.

So, every 25,000 miles do it all... depending on wear. Unless one is grossly worn...

I.E. Having to adjust chain slack more than every 3000 miles, front sprocket shark-finned, rear sprocket over-gapped, worn thin or shark-finned... or chain rollers loose or kinked/locked links.