News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

TPS readings?? Keihin or carb conversion 955 Sagem

Started by metalguru, March 14, 2011, 04:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Getting some strange readings from TPS on TuneECU.
On resetting it will go down to 0.2 and once the engine has run long enough to trim then it goes back up to 2.2 @ 0.61V which according to triumph manual is within tolerance. No matter how many times I reset it will not zero. Any ideas??
Thanks BB for the map but MPG was bad 120 till lamp, but TPS reading could make ecu think throttle is open?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

TPS readings are ok, does it read 74-78% on full throttle?

Is fuel consumption ok on a standard map?

Hassan has poor fuel consumption and he thinks he has overfuelling due to fuel rail pressure being too high - his fuel pressure sensor is not working.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Yes I have 78% on WOT no probs there.
Have loaded standard new TOR map from tuneECU and trimmed to LTF=4.1, IFT=-10.1 till gained a value within range of CO sensor and non smelly exhaust!
Only on short commute this week and will take longer to realise MPG.
Yet to check fuel rail pressure and will post results when I get an adapter made.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

Not sure what your background is so I'll state the bleedin' obvious, especially in case anybody with little experience decides to give this a try:

The fuel rail carries fuel at high pressure, be very careful that the test rig you lash up is up to the job, and the fact that it's fuel.  Aside from the obvious fire risk, take care to protect your skin.  High pressure fuel directed at exposed skin will at the very least cause long term dermatitis.  In extreme cases it can be fatal.

Go careful friends.. :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Thanks for the safety advice there BB, thankfully I do come from an engineering background and safety CANNOT be comprimised and anyone who is not fully competant in proceedures should leave well alone!

I am hopefully looking for 3 bar at the rail as described in Triumph text.
Your mod tune was certainly energetic and will certainly reload when this hiccup has been cured.
It is a shame we cannot upgrade to the Keihin system, or is that food for thought? :idea:
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "metalguru"Thanks for the safety advice there BB, thankfully I do come from an engineering background and safety CANNOT be comprimised and anyone who is not fully competant in proceedures should leave well alone!

I am hopefully looking for 3 bar at the rail as described in Triumph text.
Your mod tune was certainly energetic and will certainly reload when this hiccup has been cured.
It is a shame we cannot upgrade to the Keihin system, or is that food for thought? :idea:

Are the connectors the same or will we need to rework the loom?  Hmm

metalguru

It is a strange fact that since the age of 12 in the early '70s I have been fortunate enough to play with motorcycles in every way shape and form and now presented with a really tempremental system, (mind you it is French) and trying to impove same has been a taxing influence.
  To convert to the Keihin system I think is possible but at what cost? Throttle bodies, perhaps 1050 head, ECU and complete loom. Clocks from later machine as mine go awol when another model map is loaded. Complete loom is preferable as most attachments are in a similar place on different models making connection easier. Although if we could find a way into the sagem ECU to disable certain functions then the most effective way forward would be 3 carbs from a similar 320cc per pot four cylinder bike. Or just remove the fault lamp! Going backwards you may think but in the race car world or engine transplant, ie. from 4cyl to V8 (done that), it is quite common.
Time for head scratching and thinking caps.
42mm Flatslide carbs from jap sports bike any ideas?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

I think being able to read what the hard code in the ECU is doing would solve most of the issues.  My guess is that the coding is over compensating for changes in certain conditions.

metalguru

Likewise the hard coded comparables could make a huge difference.
I think we may be on to something here with a carb conversion, a manifold would have to be made and carb rubbers sourced but with the vast availability of second hand jap spares on the market it is just time availability and scratching around at a breakers to source required items.
The cold start is easy as the left hand switch gear is the same as the T/Bird.
Hopefully others reading this can cast a few more thoughts and we may be on to a winner. One day on the dyno for set up and we have a simple reliable fueling system unlike the one we have now which from what I have read on here causes lots of problems.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Hassan

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"TPS readings are ok, does it read 74-78% on full throttle?

Is fuel consumption ok on a standard map?

Hassan has poor fuel consumption and he thinks he has overfuelling due to fuel rail pressure being too high - his fuel pressure sensor is not working.

The Fuel Pump Regulator...
\'99 885i

Chris Canning

Quote from: "metalguru"It is a strange fact that since the age of 12 in the early '70s I have been fortunate enough to play with motorcycles in every way shape and form and now presented with a really tempremental system, (mind you it is French) and trying to impove same has been a taxing influence.
  To convert to the Keihin system I think is possible but at what cost? Throttle bodies, perhaps 1050 head, ECU and complete loom. Clocks from later machine as mine go awol when another model map is loaded. Complete loom is preferable as most attachments are in a similar place on different models making connection easier. Although if we could find a way into the sagem ECU to disable certain functions then the most effective way forward would be 3 carbs from a similar 320cc per pot four cylinder bike. Or just remove the fault lamp! Going backwards you may think but in the race car world or engine transplant, ie. from 4cyl to V8 (done that), it is quite common.
Time for head scratching and thinking caps.
42mm Flatslide carbs from jap sports bike any ideas?

Blimey now that is a complicated thought,may as well go to a complete 1050 motor as well.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning".....Blimey now that is a complicated thought,may as well go to a complete 1050 motor as well.

Assuming the sale goes through on our relocation, the workshop has a Ford twin cam V6 lying about... is that any use???

metalguru

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Chris Canning".....Blimey now that is a complicated thought,may as well go to a complete 1050 motor as well.

Assuming the sale goes through on our relocation, the workshop has a Ford twin cam V6 lying about... is that any use???

V10 Viper would be nice...The wife wants a trike!!! V6 in a Tiger frame, now theres a thought. or better still chuck it in a R3 frame.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Chris Canning

Always thought about a 1050 motor in my 955 but it's a full on heart and lung transplant thats for sure,and does the Jap fuel injection fit under the 955 tank  :?

LTB

Quote from: "metalguru"...
I think we may be on to something here with a carb conversion, a manifold would have to be made and carb rubbers sourced but with the vast availability of second hand jap spares on the market it is just time availability and scratching around at a breakers to source required items.
The Steamer has carbs and has the same basic engine. Why not have a look there, if you are serious about it...
Or just swap to a Steamer.
/Thomas

Triumph Tiger 955i -01 Roulette Green

"There\'s no off position on the genious switch"