News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new chain and sprockets

Started by flaco, April 12, 2011, 07:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flaco

31,353 miles on my Girly and it's time for a new chain and sprockets. Sprockets don't appear to be hooked and the only sign the chain is worn is a bit of a tight spot. But there's a drumming sound when she's under power which disappears if I throttle back. I don't think aforesaid chain and sprockets have been replaced since new (I'm the third owner), so I would assume they've had a good run. Thing is, I quite enjoy wrenching,but I'm embarrassingly inept, I've got no background in mechanics and I don't have any experienced friends nearby. I'd appreciate any advice- have a go? or take it to a dealer? Nearest Triumph dealer is 50 miles away in Plymouth.
Thanks and all the best to all for a great spring for riding.
Flaco
kernow bys vyken

Bixxer Bob

Subject was covered recently, I think there was some reference to UTube "how to" vids.  

A good quality chain splitter / rivetter will cost less than a trip to the dealer.  I remember the first time I did mine,  I worried about the riveting for about 3 months afterwards, but looking back, I've never had one fail so I must be getting something right.  

Whether you have a go is up to you, but it's not difficult, just takes time and patience.  

Oh and you'll need a socket for the drive sprocket too.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Flaco, you dont have to take it to a Triumph dealer, your local bike shop mechanic should be able to sort it...if you dont fancy doin it yourself...like I didnt :oops:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Kraftsman 73

Just installed new chain and sprockets on my new to me 2005 955i.
I installed a 19t/43t in lieu of the stock 18t/46t setup.
Really like the new gearing.  I don't shift as much and bike feels more relaxed on the highway with clearer mirrors.
Tools needed

36 mm socket to remove drive sprocket.
27 mm socket to remove rear axle nut.
12 mm and 13 mm open end wrenched for the chain adjusters
14 mm socket to remove driven sprocket from hub.
If memory serves, a 1/4" drive 8 mm socket, extension, and ratchet to remove bolts from the drive sprocket cover.  Top bolt requires the small socket.  I plan on changing to allen head bolts in the future.
Blue removable Loc-tite.

I used my trusty 1/2" drive impact gun to remove front and rear nuts.  Disc sander was used to grind down the pins on one link,  then a chain tool was used to press out pin and re-install new chain link.
Good Luck

nd4spd

73 - do you do any mild off raod, trail riding w/ the bike..?  I'm wondering how that set up works in that environment...  I like the idea of a more relaxed highway set up - planning a ride to Prudhoe Bay next summer w/ a lot of highway in between.  Thanks!

Mark

cosmo

I've always used a body dolly and ball peen to peen the rivets. Looks just like I used the special tool. And, really, a body dolly IS a special tool...

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Kraftsman 73

As of now, I am only using the bike on road.  No off road planned for next year.  Personally Triumph did a poor job spec'ing the transmission ratios.  Too close together.  If I were to embark on a trip to Alaska, I would change the gearing.  At least I would change the 19 to the stock 18 tooth.  Or I would make the change when I am up north.
Changing the gearing made a huge improvement and is worth all the work and cost.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

NZDeano

Quote from: "Kraftsman 73"As of now, I am only using the bike on road.  No off road planned for next year.  Personally Triumph did a poor job spec'ing the transmission ratios.  Too close together.  If I were to embark on a trip to Alaska, I would change the gearing.  At least I would change the 19 to the stock 18 tooth.  Or I would make the change when I am up north.
Changing the gearing made a huge improvement and is worth all the work and cost.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

Hey Kraftsman good post.  :D I havent put many miles on my new purchase (2003 Girly) but I had noticed this gearing thing as well. The gears are so close I sometimes dont know which gear I am in, and in top I keep looking for another gear as 100km = 4,000rpm. On my bonny scrambler (with changed engine sprocket)  it is 100km = 3,200 , much more relaxed. I have had to adjust riding style as on the tiger if I change gear up, the bike engine breaks as I release the clutch. So I need to blip the throttle, change real quick, and keep power up to stop it happening. If I dont it seems like I have changed down a gear and not up.
I would happily do this change if it works better. Any comments dude.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

KuzzinKenny

[/quote]I havent put many miles on my new purchase (2003 Girly) but I had noticed this gearing thing as well. The gears are so close I sometimes dont know which gear I am in, and in top I keep looking for another gear as 100km = 4,000rpm. On my bonny scrambler (with changed engine sprocket)  it is 100km = 3,200 , much more relaxed. I have had to adjust riding style as on the tiger if I change gear up, the bike engine breaks as I release the clutch. So I need to blip the throttle, change real quick, and keep power up to stop it happening. If I dont it seems like I have changed down a gear and not up.
I would happily do this change if it works better. Any comments dude.[/quote]

Hey NZDeano !! I would be checkin yer chain ( too tight ) or yer front/rear brakes for bindin !! if ya have a centre stand its easy !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly