News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Inner tube tr-4 or tr-6 ?

Started by hooligan971, May 04, 2011, 06:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooligan971

I tried to order tires and tubes today and they told me I needed to tell them if the Tiger uses tr-4 or tr-6 tubes. I searched for an hour and never found a clear answer. Does anyone have any idea ? Supposedly has to do with the lengh of the stem.
 Thanks,
       Patrick
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

John Stenhouse

As far as I can see with a quick google tr4 is a round attachment to the tube, tr6 is an oval attachment. Why that should make a difference I don't know. That appears to be the only difference. tr87 angled valve stem, tr15 is a rubber stem.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

hooligan971

In all the years I've been buying tires, I used to just ask for the tube that went with. I've run tubeless since about 88 and with the Tiger I'm back with tubes. I thought it must be something new. I'll try talking to a different person today. Maybe the lady I spoke with was smokin' sumpin'  :shock:
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

jwray76

TR-4 will work for ya

hooligan971

Thanks for the replies.I finally got it straight. I ordered a set of Shinko 705's just to give them a try. I am surprised that with all the big DS bikes that use the same tire sizes, that MSS doesn't sell tubes in the right size. I had to go with a rear Bridgestone - Radial Tire Tube, Size: 160/60R-17 at $21 !  (not exact size but supposed to be a substitute) and a Metezeler on the front that is the right size.
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)