News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stainless steel should not pit, right?

Started by Danny955i, May 10, 2011, 08:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

I bought a Remus Revolution can last year around this time, and after 1 year of riding, it's pitted. Badly.

I can't remove the pits with ANY polish/cleaner that I've found short of taking a brillo pad to it (which I will not do).

I'm currently in contact with the company I've bought it from seeking a warranty resolution, and they're talking with Remus for me...

Take a look... this shouldn't happen right?

Think I've got a good case for replacement?

Mustang

heat will do all kinds of strange shit to Stainless Steel

and there are many flavors of stainless steel

PeteH

Is this a sudden thing?? is the bike marked elsewhere?? has it been parked outside and open to contaminents??

Just wondering
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Danny955i

Kind of a sudden thing after about 7 months... then I tired buffing, polishing, etc... and it only came out to where it is now a year later.

The bike is always stored indoors, never rode in the salt/winter, and very rarely sees rain/wet roads.

Timbox2

I have a vague recollection of BMW having a similar issue with the cans on their K1200RS's a few years back, they were also stainless and BM had to change loads under warranty, cant remember cause or such like Im afraid.
2016 Tiger Sport

cbxtc6

Flitz polish.  Available at your local hardware store.

Danny955i

Well... about 2 hours later...

1. Wash.
2. Brillo pad lightly.
3. Wash.
4. Fitz Polish
5. Eagle 1 NeverDull batting
6. Wipe down w/micro fiber cloth.

Didn't use the electric buffer... all elbow grease. I think, when I go to do the back of the pipe... (which is heinous)... I'll pull out the big guns...

But seemed to work well! Still a little bit of pitting at the top, but not as bad as Pic1-3!!!

I'm kinda proud of myself :)!   Thanks for all the help guys!!!

topher0268

LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!

I wouldn't worry about that lil bit of pitting ... it's an adventure bike ... I like to call that "character"  :wink:
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Bixxer Bob

Danny, are you sure it's stainless and not aluminium???

The sort of pitting in the photo is common on aluminium but I've never seen it on stainless steel.  Also, the relative ease with which you polished it out makes me lean toward ally; stainless is a b*t*h to polish without using power tools.

Don't mean to insult your intelligence, just it doesn't seem to add up... And the dealer that's working on my 4x4 said pipes were stainless when they are actually aluminium (he's supposed to be an expert :? ) so it's an easy mistake to make until you pick them up.  The weight is a bit of a giveaway  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NKL

Looks Aluminium to me
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Timbox2

Yeah, and you know what, Ive just remembered that what I said earlier about BMW cans also applied to ally, not stainless
2016 Tiger Sport

Mini Mo

The dead give away is the difference in color between the inlet pipe and tip compared to the can. S/S usually has a light golden look after it's been heated up. Did the polishing rag or wadding turn completely black while you were polishing? If so, it's alum.
1999 Tiger
2006 KTM 450 EXC
1971 Honda CB750

LTB

http://www.remus.eu/revolution-slip-on-aluminium-eec-54-mm-2802.html

You can get the Remus Revoultion can in alu, black painted ss and titanium so if they didn't stop making an ss version that wasn't painted I agree that it must be alu.
/Thomas

Triumph Tiger 955i -01 Roulette Green

"There\'s no off position on the genious switch"

Danny955i

When I bought the can back in 2010 they still made/had the SS version and that's what I bought, because it was $50 cheaper than the Aluminum version.

Honestly, they could have pulled one over on me, only because the stainless (in my opinion) should have a yellow tint to it rather than whiteish/blush that aluminum does.

However... I dunno. The sales slip I have says "Stainless Steel" on it. But they could've sent me anything.

Unfortunately the 'magnet' test won't work... due to most grades of stainless being non-magnetic.

Bixxer Bob

Easy test Danny,  ally is way softer than stainless.  A stainless knife is hard to scratch, an ally pan or kettle is easily scratched.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...