News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Keihin carbs 1999 Trophy 900 fit Steamer?

Started by MtheTiger, June 24, 2011, 11:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtheTiger

I'm lookin'for an upgrade from Mikuni's to Keihin's.
Will Keihin carbs from a 1999 Trophy 900 fit the steamer or should I look for > 1998 ones?

Thx
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

CoolHandLuke

Aye, the Trophy Keihin's will fit.  You may need to change the jet sizes, I think they might be the same size as the sprint of that era (120-115-120).

When it comes to tuning, there is no one rule of thumb that works for all carbs.  What is best for my setup may not be ideal with yours because of differences in fuel, altitude, exhausts, intake, etc, etc.

Having said that, there is usually a good baseline to start from.  From there, you should get your bike on a dyno to check it is not to lean or rich and that there are no flat spots.

My Keihin carbs came off a 1998 Sprint and worked properly once I had opened both sides of the air chamber.  When I had it on the dyno, it was showing the main jets as being too lean.

I have just, yesterday, changed my main jets to 125-120-125 and will get it back on the dyno in the next few weeks.

Having searched for "Triumph Trophy Keihin Jet Size", it looks like a lot of Trophy owners are recommending main jets of 125-120-125 and primaries of 40, which matches the Sprint owners recommendations and my own findings.

Jaythro

Hey Cool Hand What did the sprint carbs do for the MPG's?

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Jaythro"Hey Cool Hand What did the sprint carbs do for the MPG's?
I went from less than 40mpg with Mikuni's to 50-55 with a mixed bag of town riding, slow riding down narrow country lanes and brisk paces along motorways and fast country lanes.