News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

06' horn relay?

Started by mille44, July 10, 2011, 01:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mille44

I have a 06' Tiger and have had constant problems with the horn wires breaking themselves every few months. Splicing wire onto the stock wires have worked 4-5 times over the last 4 years.
Now, this time, splicing wires didnt work. The horn makes this barely audible beep with the new wiring. I took the switch apart and jumped the two wires together by jumping the two soldered contacts together. Still the barely audible beep, nothing more. So, I'm looking for a horn relay to see if there is something wrong there. I cant seem to find it. Any ideas? Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the horn?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric
On the seventh day God made Triumphs; and the Devil rides a Triple!

If its wide enough for two wheels it\'s a road!

Keep talkin\'...I\'m takin\' up the trigger slack!

KuzzinKenny

Sorry but i've no idea where it is !! but have you tryed a direct wire from the battery to the horn to rule out a duff horn  :shock:

also, there is a screw on the horn to adjust the sound ( not that it was any good to start with )   :lol:

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

mille44

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Sorry but i've no idea where it is !! but have you tryed a direct wire from the battery to the horn to rule out a duff horn  :shock:

also, there is a screw on the horn to adjust the sound ( not that it was any good to start with )   :lol:

good luck !!

KK

Yes, I should have stated that before. I hooked it up to another motorcycle I have and it sounds fine. I took the other motorcycles horn and hooked it up to the Tiger and had the same muted responce....
I have no idea what to look at next....

Timbox2

as long as the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual is correct there is no relay for the horn, it gets its feed direct from the ignition switch and in fact thats where Id be looking, somebody else recently took the switch off to find the Green/White wire parting company, it also feeds both brake light switches and the relay for the indicators.

I would connect up a voltmeter and check you have a good 12v at the horn all the time with the ignition on, if so then check the earth side with a continuity check back to the battery negative.
2016 Tiger Sport

iansoady

I have a relay to run my twin Fiammas and always fit a relay to horn wiring as they pull quite a high current.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

jnutiger

I just looked at the wiring diagram in my Triumph service manual.  It shows no relay for the horn and is laid out the way that Timbox2 described.
2006 Tiger

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "mille44"
Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Sorry but i've no idea where it is !! but have you tryed a direct wire from the battery to the horn to rule out a duff horn  :shock:

good luck !!

KK

Yes, I should have stated that before. I hooked it up to another motorcycle I have and it sounds fine. I took the other motorcycles horn and hooked it up to the Tiger and had the same muted responce....
I have no idea what to look at next....

I think it will be the horn push button is all gunged up !! strip switch and clean the contacts, coat with dielectric grease and test !!

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

mille44

I took the signal/ horn switch gear apart this afternoon. The contacts on the horn looked brand new. However, I scuffed them up a bit with sand paper and put some dielectric grease on them and put it all back together.
... Nothing! Still have the same symptoms. Tiny little anemic beep.

Does anyone have an electrical schematic that I could take a look at? The wires to the horn are a different color than the ones to the switch. I would like to find out where the switch wire goes and where the horn wire goes and why they are two different wires...

Thanks!
-Eric

TigerTrax

Your horn circuit does not have a separate relay.

Wires:
Power comes from ignition switch to horn: Orange/Green.
That same wire also feeds front & rear brake lever switches
as well as your turn signal flasher.
I would check to see if they are working properly.
I think you need to open up your ignition switch and look for loose solder
or corrosion on the orange & green wire. You are getting some current, but a corroded or broken solder will diminish the horn... but probably not
the others.

Broken solder and corrosion in ignition switch is a common problem.

FYI:
From Horn Button:
Blk: To Clutch Lever Switch
BlkWht: To Pin #4 in harness plug; Becomes Purple & Blk to Horn.

Get a manual.
BTW: Go to Bike Bandit... they may have an online schematic.

I think you have a bad connection in your ignition switch. The Ora
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

mille44

Good advice. I will look at the ignition switch as well.
I have a manual. .... somewhere. It seems to have gone missing after last time I moved. I can find every other one but the Tiger... :cry:

Timbox2

Heres a bit that might help

2016 Tiger Sport

eldiii

While your at it throw the horn away a get a stebel air horn or chinese knock off.  Might save your life.  Very loud, relativly cheep too. Use the stock horn bracket to mount the new horn.

oxnsox

Have you checked it with a voltmeter?
If not do it at the Horn itself and see how many volts you get when you press the button.

It maybe a bad connection on the other side (non switch side).
But if you've been having regular problems with the connections and making splices I'd say the faults been around for a while.

As an electrodude I work on the simple presise that you don't splice wire, you splice rope.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~