News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel mileage

Started by pit0rz, April 19, 2008, 04:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pit0rz

I see my '03 tank capacity is listed at 6.3 gallons.  Assuming I could squeeze 40mpg out of her, that gives us a range of 253 miles.  My fuel light comes on at 200'ish miles. Looks to be a little more than a gallon left at fill up so it sounds accurate.  What are you guys seeing in the mileage department?  Most of my riding is backroads, some commuting, Little or no Interstate.  I'm pretty easy on the bike.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Yukon

I almost always get 44 mpg on my '06.  Did one trip last year on the interstates and was able to get 50 mpg.  I'll gladly sacrafice the mileage to stick to the 2 lane roads.

abruzzi

I get a solid 48-50mpg on my 03 in almost all types of riding.  I've gotten 300 miles on a tank.  The only times I see a drop to 43-45 is stop and go commuting.  Low speed dirt, high speed dirt, super-slab, back roads, they all deliver close to 50 for me.

Geof

GasDepot

On my bone stock AFAIK 2000 885i with 12k miles I get 41mpg commuting if I keep it below 5000 rpm I can push it to 45 or so.
My reserve light goes on I can put 5.4 gal in the tank.
I wish I got the milag you 955 folks are getting.

James
2000 Tiger
1998 KLR
A cheep bastard with a large tank

sanjoh

It might help to post your fuel map and intake/exhaust.

01 955i stock map, intake, exhaust.

45mpg road. Off road ~ 55mpg.

Has anyone found taller gearing (ie 19 tooth counter) to reduce fuel consumption?
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

2004Tiger

I can squeeze 300 miles out of my tank, when a fill-up is nearby. I ride fast but start slow, only rev to mid-range in each gear.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

abruzzi

Quote from: "sanjoh"It might help to post your fuel map and intake/exhaust.

TOR exhaust and map, stock sprockets, maxxis presa detour tires.  Mostly unladen, + 230 lb driver.  :?

Geof

HappyMan

Does the off road tune raise or lower the gas mileage?
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

pit0rz

TOR can and off road tune here too.  Plus an extra 50lbs past Geoff's weight  :(   Maybe I found the reason for my less than stellar mileage.  The poor bike is cartin' my fat ass around.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

RickV

Stock `99 885 exhaust & tune.  45 tooth rear sprocket.  I'm lucky to get 42 mpg & I ride it real easy.  It's got close to 50K miles on it, but I don't believe that really has an effect on mileage.

RV

pit0rz

Filled up yesterday, 45MPG.  Tht damn yellow light comes on really early.  I rode almost 40 miles with the light on before I got skeered and found a gas station.  Managed to squeeze 5.1 gallons in her.  SO I still had over a gallon left.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

cbxtc6

Since the 'off-road' tune richens the mixture across the board, I'd deduce it LOWERS the mileage.  I have the off-road tune, staintune muffler on my '06, and get ~44mpg.  I'm a svelt 170lbs.  I think rider weight, and aggresiveness has most effect on mileage.  I'm going to HAVE to get 250 miles out of a tank this summer enroute to the Yukon and Alaska.  I know it will. But I'll carry an extra liter "just in case".

WIDGIN

TOR pipe and tune, 170lb rider and I seem to always get 44mpg, usually riding it like I stole it on a mix of mountain roads and dirt.    :lol:
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Sasquatch

01 955
Morowaki titanium race pipe
TOR tune
K&N filter with baffle removed from air box
400 lb rider (yeah, I need a diet)
Ride like a total ass
41-42 mpg

abruzzi

There was someone over on TRAT that found that the TOR tune actually increased mileage maginally.  I presume this is becuase more fuel means more power, thus lower throttle for same speed.  With the fuel/air ratio closer to optimal, more efficient conversion of potential energy to kinetic. Or something lke that.

I found no difference in milage between stock and TOR. The TOR made the engine run cooler though--now it hovers just above the C line, even in 110 degree heat.

Geof