News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What is hunting?

Started by BigDan, October 31, 2011, 09:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDan

Hi guys,

I've read a few times now about these bikes "hunting". What is that?

Cheers,
Dan
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Bixxer Bob

I guess you're referring to the issue at 2-3000 rpm on a steady throttle.  Many injected Tigers have a hard time running smoothly in this range which is particularly annoying as that's about 28-30mph. The bike jerks as if you're snatching the throttle on and off.  They all seem to do it to some extent but some are worse than others.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Yes, also at idle. What happens at idle is that the ECU has a target engine speed. If the actual speed drops below this the IACV will open allowing more air in hence the engine speeds up - but it overshoots slightly. The IACV then closes, engine slows down, again overshoots and the cycle starts again.

The mechanism for the effect that BB mentions is caused by a slightly different mechanism but the effect is similar.

If you listen to an old-style diesel with a mechanical governor idling, you hear the same effect but more pronounced.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

BigDan

Picking mine up tomorrow, hope it doesn't do that :(

Is there a way of fixing it?

Chris Canning

Quote from: "BigDan"Picking mine up tomorrow, hope it doesn't do that :(

Is there a way of fixing it?

They all do it,there's War and Piece on fuel mapping on here,or an 02 plug,it's like having tooth ache and can't stopping poking it!!,I've found it only does it if you ride in a certain way,I don't,so long as your on the throttle or off it, it's fine,it's when you start fannying about feathering the throttle  :wink:

BigDan

Fair enough, i'll bear that in mind :)

metalguru

Have a look in here as no hunting at all, has taken a long time to get a good balance!!

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=100
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Crazylegs

I just picked up a '99 and after sorting a plug problem, I'm happy to say I've had 1200 surge free klicks on her. I'm not sure if the hunting is more pronounced with certain years? :?:  You will notice more of a jerky throttle response if your used to carbed bikes but that is easily adjusted to  :wink:. Have fun with your new ride! :D

BigDan

Yeaaahhhh! Picked up my Tiger today xD Noticed this hunting thing very slightly but not badly at all, a lot smoother than my old carbed Bandit (but then again, it was running lean lol).

I'm well happy with it! It was advertised as coming with panniers, and when I test-rode it the panniers were on, but on collection it had the top box too!! Sorted. New brakes, fully serviced, and ready to rock.

Will get some pictures up tomorrow.

KuzzinKenny

Hey BigDan !! congrats on the new 2 you Tigger !! now i can say.............

Welcome to TT.com  :occasion14

:D

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Sin_Tiger

Good buy, Scotland is closer than you might think  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

Quote from: "BigDan"I'm well happy with it! It was advertised as coming with panniers, and when I test-rode it the panniers were on, but on collection it had the top box too!! Sorted. New brakes, fully serviced, and ready to rock.

Will get some pictures up tomorrow.

You will be. They're great, underrated bikes and it will serve you well. Welcome to the forum.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

BigDan

Cheers mate, yeah I had my first proper ride on it Sunday, 200 miles of comfort, grins, a non-moaning female pillion, and good fuel economy!!

Love it.

Particularly enjoy accelerating from 40ish in 6th, the whole bike just rumbles and thunders beneath ya xD

Chris Canning

As a certain gent said on here not so long back 'The search button is your friend' :roll:

If you think it's good now,Blanking plate out of the air box,open can,different fuel map,19t engine sprocket.

Last may I had my only encounter in open combat with two lads on 1050 on the way back from the NW200,for what ever reason I was expecting e'm to come by me at some kind of speed(they were both 1 up to my 2),in the end they had to stop for fuel,spoke to one of e'm the following day F me he says that 955 goes well,did you have to stop for fuel?? e'rr no  :D,I tell him I was expecting them to come past,jesus he says it was all we we worth to hang on the back.

It might be an old model but there's life in the old dog yet,thats the bike not me!! well it might be  :oops:

BigDan

My last bike was a Bandit, and I was constantly messing with it. I found myself actually making things worse so -at least for now- I won't be touching it! :P

Except for a screen and a 19t sprocket.