News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Not hijacking Chris C,'s thread

Started by Bixxer Bob, December 24, 2011, 10:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

Quote from: "Cos"Sadly, the stock shock cannot be serviced, refreshed or whatever

Er, wrong. You should have added "easily".
I had mine rebuilt (local bloke) and it's better than original. I really didn't have  a problem with the OE over 50K miles and I'm not known for going too slowly. Maybe I got a good one I don't know but I do know that 98% of owners haven't got a clue how to set up their suspension and in-variously blame the equipment. That's the very reason BMW developed their ESA automatic system.
Of course, having said that, something like Ohlins or Wilbers will be better but at a cost. The OE stuff has to be cost effective for the factory.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

D-Fuzz

When I owned my DR650, one of the biggest problems I had with the OEM shock was it was grossly undersprung for my needs.  The spring was rated for around 170lbs rider and I am 240lbs with gear.  If I loaded it up wih some camping gear, I found I was constantly hitting the bump stop and bottoming the shock out.  I also noticed on washboard-type roads, the shock would pack-up and I would have no suspension travel at all in the rear, causing the rear wheel to hop like crazy.

I sent the OEM shock away to be rebuilt to my needs and the difference was quite remarkable.  I no longer bottomed the shock out due to a heavier spring, but I also found the shock seemed to have better control over bumps, especially the washboard stuff.  I could ride much faster over that type of terrain because the suspension was soaking up the bumps.  I could also corner at faster speeds as again, the shock kept the rear wheel on the ground as opposed to bouncing around.  Part of the improvement was having a spring that could support my weight, but having it rebuilt improved the damping which allowed the shock to have better control during its travel.

I have yet to start monkeying with the shock on my Tiger, but I imagine I will at some point.  I imagine the OEM shock on the Tiger is a bit better unit than was on the DR and the spring seems to be a bit heavier, so perhaps the difference won't be as stark.  It would be nice to ride something with an "upgraded" shock before laying out that kind of cash, but that isn't always possible.  For me, it might just come down to havng the OEM one serviced, as after 15+ years, it might stand a little freshening.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I have yet to start monkeying with the shock on my Tiger, but I imagine I will at some point.  I imagine the OEM shock on the Tiger is a bit better unit than was on the DR and the spring seems to be a bit heavier, so perhaps the difference won't be as stark.  It would be nice to ride something with an "upgraded" shock before laying out that kind of cash, but that isn't always possible.  For me, it might just come down to havng the OEM one serviced, as after 15+ years, it might stand a little freshening.

you will be surprised at the difference .................

and on another note ......pm sasquatch he will make your OEM perform miracles for under 300 bucks I believe .

D-Fuzz

That was my plan, just have to get around to taking the shock out to send it off.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "Cos"Sadly, the stock shock cannot be serviced, refreshed or whatever

Er, wrong. You should have added "easily".
I had mine rebuilt (local bloke) and it's better than original .

What was the price of the rebuild like compared to an aftermarket shock and does your local bloke still carry out this work?
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Timbox2

Sasquatch always used to say he would not rebuild Girly Shocks, he has done in the past but reckoned it wasnt worth it in the end
2016 Tiger Sport