News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Not hijacking Chris C,'s thread

Started by Bixxer Bob, December 24, 2011, 10:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

So...... I rag around on stock suspension that's done 25k miles. I don't notice any problems but that's probablyblissful ignorance.

What would I be noticing if I had experience of suspension that really works? :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cosmo

Hey, I'm with you. I've ridden rigids with girders and still had fun. Led Sportsters through corners with a Aermacchi 250 Sprint (I won). Toured on a 250 Ducati Monza with stock (old) suspension.

Would I truly love a(n) expensive new suspension??

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chris Canning

Best person to answer that is Timbox,it's not all that long ago he went from stock to aftermarket,then bought a brand new K1300GT and having ajusted to some quality suspenders on his Tiger was highly amusing with his summary,BM stuff is just as crap as Triumph

But when the term rag around is used how far is that  :D,I found mine two up with kit was good for 60/70 miles at my kind of pace,by which time it didn't now if it was coming or going  :( ,it had done 5000 miles with everything set on max.

As for the original question thats probably number?? feels like a million + :D ,which is understandable were I get ticked off but equally understandable as well!!, 'Ive just fitted aftermarket and I can't beleave the difference  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:   :D

The reality it's nothing to with bikes/suspension it's about money,after market is light years better,but it comes at a price  :(

rf9rider

I`ve noticed a hell of a difference riding my Steamer fitted with stock, then a Hagon, even though it`s considered to be a budget shock.
Looking to upgrade to a Wilbers or Nitron once i get Steamer 1 sold  :)

Mustang

OHLINS................ahhhhhhhhhh :love10

Bixxer Bob

Guys, we've had all this before. I'm trying to get deeper into what feels different.
I have a Hagon on my 'Bird which was a bitch to get right and even now does't start working properly unless you are riding hard and fast.  Anything less and it'll have you out of the seat on anything but smooth tarmac.
Are we saying that with decent suspension that the bumps just disappear and so riding takes less effort because you are using fewer calories so you don't tire as quick? Or is it you can go faster because it soaks up more uneveness?

My Tigger is a bit bouncy on really big bumps but otherwise I've really not had anything happen that was unexpected given her bulk.  And she is a LOT easier to ride (make thata lot more forgiving) than the Blackbird.

Maybe I just ride too slow to notice? :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

LTB

I put on a standard Hagon in the spring (...) and actually got it adjusted for gravel road by the Öhlins team at this years Adventure Days.
The difference from riding stock the last two years is that it absorbs the bumps much better and is not that scary bumpy when riding too fast.
Now I can feel the bump with the front wheel and then it's gone.
Before I could feel it with the front and then feel it even more with the rear.
My stock had 30000km on it.

I wish I would have gone for a stiffer spring as I'm a big guy. Riding single and unloaded it's perfect even on fast gravel roads but loaded I would like something more.

If this is the feeling with the cheapest Hagon. I wish I had money for something even better.
/Thomas

Triumph Tiger 955i -01 Roulette Green

"There\'s no off position on the genious switch"

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Are we saying that with decent suspension that the bumps just disappear and so riding takes less effort because you are using fewer calories so you don't tire as quick? Or is it you can go faster because it soaks up more uneveness?

In a nutshell thats it,but and it's a big BUT,it really is more complicated than that,even with aftermarket there's no major answer to a set up at any speed,that magic carpet feel at 70 will be tieing itself in knots at 110,but no matter what the set up,you can't but help to feel the quality as the back end stays in contact with the ground,both Tiger and 1100s are set up for speed,in fact my 1100 when it's cold is just awfull :( ,20 miles down the road when it's warmed up,absolutely spot on but only at high speed,at 70 it's like concrete,but still aceptable, at 110 it's absolutely magical :D .

But it's not just 'Aftermarket' it's about having control,ie a spring to your weight,separate ajustable compression and rebound,all this one ajustment does both!!!! :roll:  the technical term is bollocks!!,you need to be able to alter not only the rate at which the shock compresses but also the rebound and just as importantly have a remote reservoir so nothing gets overheated.

Cost wise??,the way I see it,the shock is rented :D ,as they get older and the bikes pass down the food chain most folk won't buy new,so there will always be a market for secondhand.
I also here,'I'm not spending so much on an old bike',which too me misses the point,if your convinced it's the bike for you then long term ownership is a dead cert and you can concentrate of getting the bike even better.

The real important bit,show me 10 bikers,I'll show you 10 different set ups that all get the job done,nothing, absolutely nothing is set in stone,your most important pice of kit?? a pen and paper to write down your ajustments when your out riding.

XJC

We are all animals and as equally dynamic as the bikes are. I have always failed to see the point in modding and spending hundreds of pounds when you've already spent thousands buying the thing in the first place.

Ride it and enjoy it and if it needs a wee tweak here and there ok but don't go overboard.

If you have to spend loads of money then you seriously have to consider whether you bought the right bike in the first place.

X.
The brain is useless. We must find another brain.

XJC

Basically what I'm saying is:

Girly- Keeper

After 30 years of riding ther isn't a bike out there that I can see replacing it.

X.

Timbox2

Quote from: "XJC"......... I have always failed to see the point in modding and spending hundreds of pounds when you've already spent thousands buying the thing in the first place.

Ride it and enjoy it and if it needs a wee tweak here and there ok but don't go overboard.

If you have to spend loads of money then you seriously have to consider whether you bought the right bike in the first place.

X.

See, funny in it, I dont see the point in buying barn door screens for whats essentially a naked bike, but many do.
Believe me, spending £800 on a shock wasnt easy, but having done it on a previous bike, I knew what the result would be.
No, its not for everyone, but a word of warning, once youve took the leap of faith, your ruined for life, stock suspension will never do again.
Ive just bought £13k worth of BMW, and the bike is awesome, but, sorry the suspension sucks, though, being brand new its tolerable.

Its nothing to do with buying the wrong bike, if your Mr Average, ride averagely, on your own, or with minimal luggage you'll be ok I suppose.

Guys on the BMW sites cant see the problem with the stock suspension, and get a bit arsy when I dis it, but then, these are guys who talk about getting 12,000 miles out of a back tyre, sorry, but they must be pushing it everywhere.

My Brother is really into photography, he has spent £4k on a LENS, whats the point in that I said, "You will never know or understand", he said. Smarmy git I thought, but hes right.
2016 Tiger Sport

XJC

Naaaaaah!

Still don't get it.

I've hammered this bike and I'm 19 and a half stone. Do a lot of two up and believe me, when the wife's on board we are really pushing the max load.

I haven't actually tried different suspension on it, and I would have to try one out before taking the plunge and that's not an opportunity that arises every day. so basically donald duck tinkering.

I do take your point though as an aside, it costs me £1500 or so every time I need to replace my cartridge just to play some vinyl.

X.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "XJC"We are all animals and as equally dynamic as the bikes are. I have always failed to see the point in modding and spending hundreds of pounds when you've already spent thousands buying the thing in the first place.

X.

There are two aspects when a build is produced.

Concept and design and manafacture at a cost,the two are a world away,the fact that the original bike built as a quality product would cost half as much again,the front forks on a 955 tiger are basic to to say the very least,the rear is what it is bargain basement cost of production $50 absolutely tops,it's not a Triumph thing all stock bikes are the same.

My 955 is a world away from yours,in fact having ridden a 1200 Multistrada I wouldn't want to live on the difference between mine  and it,so while some folk are happy to chop and change bikes trying to find the Holy Grail and part with thousands,I'm more than happy to evolve mine and other bikes,I've had it from new 11 years this may and it's light years better than the day I bought it.

It sticks to road like shit to a blanket(apart from once :oops: ),even 2 up steers like a mini moto,and  after a long day on the road 500/1000 miles its still good,but still not perfect and R+D still goes on,another spring and revalve on the Ohlins.

If my 955 had been left in stock trim it would have been sold years ago,not good enough simple as that,but usage of the bike is a lot different to a lot,it's used for long distance holidays and nothing else,try crossing central Spain in the heat at speed two up,pile of kit and and suspension that doesn't know if it coming or going!!! you'd 'Get it' then  :D

Underneath the skin of a 955 is a fanatastic bike,but in stock trim you'll never even be able to scratch the surface,but were the difference is a lot of folk don't want to for what ever reason,it's easier to go into a shop and but another stock bike.

XJC

As I mentioned before, I do take your points gents and I suppose I was having a good bleat. If I'm honest I've always known the stock suspension was poor and it regularly bottoms out with the wife on board. Although she still has the temerity to blame me,  :roll: the cheek of it.

However the bike did cope ok through Europe it is definitely not a setup I would use for another Africa trip.

As Timbox mentioned £850 is not to be taken lightly, especially if like me you're not of a mechanical bent and would be more comfortable paying for someone else fitting it.

I am convinced it would be an improvement but to spend that kind of money on something I've never tried would be a complete leap of faith for me.

Maybe next year,

Scared,

X.

Cos

Quote from: "XJC"As I mentioned before, I do take your points gents and I suppose I was having a good bleat. If I'm honest I've always known the stock suspension was poor and it regularly bottoms out with the wife on board. Although she still has the temerity to blame me,  :roll: the cheek of it.

However the bike did cope ok through Europe it is definitely not a setup I would use for another Africa trip.

As Timbox mentioned £850 is not to be taken lightly, especially if like me you're not of a mechanical bent and would be more comfortable paying for someone else fitting it.

I am convinced it would be an improvement but to spend that kind of money on something I've never tried would be a complete leap of faith for me.

Maybe next year,

Scared,

X.

Stock suspension on the Tiger needs work, to say the least. My preload was cranked to "5" pretty much since i've had it and that took its toll. No matter how reluctant you are to spend the cash, the stock shock will need to go at some point. It's a matter of "when" not "if".

Sadly, the stock shock cannot be serviced, refreshed or whatever which means that if you want improvement you need to shell out for an aftermarket shock which in turn means  $$$.

Unless of course you get really really really lucky and find some BMW-buying sucker who'll sell you a quality unit at a good price... :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Just kidding Tim. Hope the GT is treating you well.

Even at the great value i got the new shock, i had to just grit my teeth and spend the money but after the fact, i'm not regretting it one bit. I haven't found time to fit the Wilbers that i bought from Tim (that, and trying to get rid of some holiday extra weight) but i am sure it'll be a "night and day" type of experience. Not to mention that this one can get serviced, re-sprung and since i have no intention of getting rid of the old girl, that means adding to the 955's "it's a keeper"-ness.