News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

dipstick

Started by 97steamer, January 22, 2012, 12:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97steamer

Did an oil and filter change yesterday. Put 3.5 litres of new oil in (spec says 4 litres) then checked the dipstick. Level was wayyyyyy over the maximum mark but I'm still half a litre short of what the manual says.

My questions are, 1) is the dipstick the wrong one? or 2) Is the Haynes manual wrong?

R0B

did you run the bike?...........oil has to get round the engine including the filter

rob

rf9rider

When you changed the filter, did you undo the drain screw or just take the filter off?
If you didn`t remove the drain screw, perhaps you didn`t drain all the old oil?

97steamer

Hi guys, I drained the oil via the drain screw and put in a new filter with o rings by the book. I also ran the engine for about five minutes before and after the oil change.

Having looked in the owners manual, the dipstick in the picture has an upper and lower mark that appear to be much further apart than the ones on my dipstick. I'm still confused :-)

Colonel Nikolai

The steamer has two oil drain plugs (unless this is only true of the Trident / Sprint of the same vintage. I thought this was also true on the steamer, but now I'm not sure and the bike is in storage).

One is the "real" drain plug and one is intended for an oil cooler accessory, and won't entirely drain all the oil. Can someone confirm this?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

D-Fuzz

Is it sitting on the side stand or a centre stand when you are checking the oil?  Can you post a photo of the dipstick?
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

just put 4 liters in and don't worry about it......................cap needs to be left unscrewed to check level

97steamer

its on the centre stand. I'll post a pic of the dipstick tomorrow

BruKen

When I did my engine rebuild I had to put in nearly 4.5 litre till it measured up to the dipstick and the oil pressure light would go out. Go figure, I wonder if the dipstick is made of the same nylon as the side panels :lol:

97steamer

I put 40 miles on the bike yesterday on my regular commute and it ran like a dog. No pull, loads more engine noise and it was pushing out white smoke, presumably due to the oil forcing its way past the piston rings.

Anyway, I drained out a litre and a bit which brought the level back to the top of the dipstick and the bike is back to normal. If my math is right then I've got around 2.5 litres in there. Go figure?

R0B

If you only have 2.5 litres in there I would really want to know why, and soon.........I can only think you didn't drain it properly.

rob

Mustang

Quote from: "R0B"If you only have 2.5 litres in there I would really want to know why, and soon.........I can only think you didn't drain it properly.

rob
:iagree

97steamer

Okay. I know it sounds daft but assuming I didn't drain it right, where did I go wrong? The bike was on the centrestand on level ground, I warmed her up and removed the drain bolt and the dipstick. I then removed the filter assembly and left it for ten minutes minimum. Have I missed anything?

I ran the bike into work again today and it was smooth as silk, no oil warning or anything so I reckon there's enough oil in there but the maths just doesn't add up. I'm fecken bedongled!   :shock:

MIMbox

Just looking at my OEM service manual, it says 4litres, including filter, and it clearly states oil to be measured with dipstick SCREWED IN, not resting on top.
See Note

rf9rider

Haynes says dipstick screwed in too i think.

How did you measure the amount of oil you put in?

Measuring jug? Marks on the oil bottle?